Solving Household Mystery: Fluorescent Light Fixture Issues in Humidity

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a mysterious issue with their kitchen light fixtures not working during humid conditions. This issue started about 5 years ago and changing the bulbs has not helped. Another person suggests that the problem could be with the ballast and recommends replacing it. The speaker also mentions that their home was built in 1962 and has the original cloth-covered wiring, but it is unclear if this is relevant to the issue.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
For some time now there has been a phenomenon in my home that I consider to be a mystery, since I do not understand it. I am hopeful that someone at this site may have a helpful suggestion.

My home was built in 1962, and the florescent light fixtures are the original hardware. Our kitchen has a set of six 40 inch fixtures, in two banks of three each. In humid conditions, mostly during the summer, the lights don't work. That is, with mild humidity just one light doesn't work, but with maximum humidity, none of the six work. Changing the bulbs has no effect. In the winter, when the air is dry, all of the lights work. This phenomenon began about 5 years ago.

Does anyone have any ideas about why humidity should affect the behavior of the light fixtures this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most probably a problem with the ballast. If you Google "ballast humidity", you see you're not the only one with the problem! Installing a new one should help.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Does the home still have the original cloth-covered wiring?

Fervent Freyja said:
Hi Freyja:

Your question will take me a while to answer. I will need to move a stepladder from the garage up two flights of stairs to the kitchen on the second floor since the fixtures are about 8 feet above the floor. Can you explain why cloth-covered wiring is relevant to the humidity effect?

Regards,
Buzz

Fervent Freyja said:
I doubt it, since the house isn't all that old.
Buzz Bloom said:
My home was built in 1962

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What causes fluorescent light fixtures to stop working in humid environments?

Fluorescent light fixtures rely on a ballast to regulate the flow of electricity to the bulbs. In high humidity, the ballast can become damaged due to moisture, leading to flickering or complete failure of the fixture.

2. Can the issue be fixed without replacing the entire fixture?

In some cases, the issue can be resolved by simply replacing the ballast. However, if the fixture has been exposed to high humidity for an extended period of time, other components such as the wiring may also be damaged and require replacement.

3. How can I prevent humidity from affecting my fluorescent light fixture?

The best way to prevent humidity-related issues is to install the light fixture in a dry and well-ventilated area. If this is not possible, using a dehumidifier or keeping the fixture running regularly can help reduce moisture buildup.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a fluorescent light fixture in a humid environment?

There is a potential safety hazard if the ballast becomes damaged and starts to emit sparks or smoke. It is important to regularly check and maintain the fixture to minimize the risk of fire or electric shock.

5. Can I use a different type of light fixture instead of fluorescent in a humid environment?

Other types of light fixtures, such as LED or incandescent, may be more suitable for use in humid environments. It is important to check the manufacturer's recommendations and ensure the fixture is rated for use in high humidity before installation.