Solving inequality with different power variables

In summary: Since the only values for which k(k - 16) = 0 are 0 or 16, any other values make this expression positive or negative.Pick any number from the first interval (-∞, 0). Determine the sign of x(x - 16). If it's negative, this interval is part of your solution.Do the same for the other two intervals.When you have k(k-16)=0 you know that you have k=0 and k-16=0. This means that the intervals (-∞, 0), (0, 16), (16, ∞) are all part of your solution.
BMW

Homework Statement

Solve for k:
k2 - 16k < 0

In the answer it has 0 < k < 16, I do not know how they get there from the original question.

Physics news on Phys.org
BMW said:

Homework Statement

Solve for k:
k2 - 16k < 0

In the answer it has 0 < k < 16, I do not know how they get there from the original question.

Show us what you have done so far.

Ray Vickson said:
Show us what you have done so far.

Well I factorise it to this k(k - 16) < 0 then what? I tried dividing both sides by k, then I get k < 16 but how can I divide both sides by k as I don't know if its positive/negative? And how do I get the 0 < k?

BMW said:
Well I factorise it to this k(k - 16) < 0 then what? I tried dividing both sides by k, then I get k < 16 but how can I divide both sides by k as I don't know if its positive/negative? And how do I get the 0 < k?

There are two possible cases (since k = 0 is not allowed). These are
Case (1): k > 0
Case (2): k < 0
Just look at what you get in each case. Of course, you have already dealt with case (1), so now go ahead and look at case (2).

you just solve it like it were an equality. when you have k(k-16)=0 you know that you have k=0 and k-16=0

Eagle's Wings said:
you just solve it like it were an equality. when you have k(k-16)=0 you know that you have k=0 and k-16=0

Ok, then I get k < 0 and k < 16, but it should be 0 < k < 16

Ray Vickson said:
There are two possible cases (since k = 0 is not allowed). These are
Case (1): k > 0
Case (2): k < 0
Just look at what you get in each case. Of course, you have already dealt with case (1), so now go ahead and look at case (2).

Ok, so if I say k < 0 (case 2), then when I divide both sides by k I flip the sign. Then I get k > 16 ?

I would take a different tack. The equation k(k - 16) = 0 is different from your inequality, but there is a connection. The two solutions are k = 0 and k = 16.

The two solutions divide the number line into three regions: (-∞, 0), (0, 16), (16, ∞). Note that these are all open intervals: they don't include any endpoints.

Since the only values for which k(k - 16) = 0 are 0 or 16, any other values make this expression positive or negative.

Pick any number from the first interval (-∞, 0). Determine the sign of x(x - 16). If it's negative, this interval is part of your solution.

Do the same for the other two intervals.

It's always tricky to deal with inequalities in this way, as you need to keep track of when you divide by negative numbers so you can flip the sign. Once you know that the equality k² - 16k = 0 holds for k = 0 and k = 16, I always prefer to draw them on the number line:

Code:
          0                    0                         <-- k² - 16k
----------|--------------------|-----------------
         k=0                 k=16

Now you know that on each of the three pieces, an inequality will hold. It cannot flip signs because if you go from k² - 16k > 0 to k² - 16k < 0 there should be a point in between where k² - 16k = 0, but you have just found all of these. So you just have to put either < or > over the three intervals, and the easiest way to do that is pick a k inside of them:

Code:
  </>?    0        </>?        0         </>?            <-- k² - 16k
----.-----|-----.--------------|------.----------
 k=-1    k=0   k=1           k=16     k=20

Plugging these in, you find
(-1)² - 16 (-1) = 1 + 16 = 17 > 0
1² - 16 (1) = 1 - 16 = -15 < 0
(20)² - 16(20) = 400 - 320 = 80 > 0

so you can complete the diagram as
Code:
   >0     0       <0           0         >0              <-- k² - 16k
         k=0                 k=16

so the inequality k² - 16k < 0 is solved by 0 < k < 16.

BMW said:
Ok, so if I say k < 0 (case 2), then when I divide both sides by k I flip the sign. Then I get k > 16 ?

Right: you have both k < 0 and k > 16 in case (2). What does that tell you?

CompuChip said:
It's always tricky to deal with inequalities in this way, as you need to keep track of when you divide by negative numbers so you can flip the sign. Once you know that the equality k² - 16k = 0 holds for k = 0 and k = 16, I always prefer to draw them on the number line:

Code:
          0                    0                         <-- k² - 16k
         k=0                 k=16

Now you know that on each of the three pieces, an inequality will hold. It cannot flip signs because if you go from k² - 16k > 0 to k² - 16k < 0 there should be a point in between where k² - 16k = 0, but you have just found all of these. So you just have to put either < or > over the three intervals, and the easiest way to do that is pick a k inside of them:

Code:
  </>?    0        </>?        0         </>?            <-- k² - 16k
----.-----|-----.--------------|------.----------
 k=-1    k=0   k=1           k=16     k=20

Plugging these in, you find
(-1)² - 16 (-1) = 1 + 16 = 17 > 0
1² - 16 (1) = 1 - 16 = -15 < 0
(20)² - 16(20) = 400 - 320 = 80 > 0

so you can complete the diagram as
Code:
   >0     0       <0           0         >0              <-- k² - 16k
         k=0                 k=16

so the inequality k² - 16k < 0 is solved by 0 < k < 16.
I would like to add to this. Once you have the number lines with the places where the factors of ##k(k-16)## are ##0##, and you know the only two places that function can change sign are at the roots of the factors (##k=0,~k=16##), you can find out the sign of the expression by analyzing the signs of the factors. You don't need to plug in any values to do this.

For example, it is clear that if ##k>16##, both ##k## and ##k-16## are positive. So above the line to the right of ##16## put ##+~+##. Now think of ##k## sliding to the left across ##k=16##. That changes the sign of the factor ##k-16## to negative, so above that section of the line put ##+~-##. Now as ##k## moves left across ##k=0## the ##k## factor changes sign so on the left part of the line put ##-~-##. The sign of the product depends on how many minus signs there are and it obviously negative on ##(0,16)##. You just have to look at which factor changes sign. One advantage of doing it this way is it doesn't matter how many factors there are or whether they are in the numerator or denominator. Just remember if a factor is squared, it doesn't change sign when the variable crosses its root.

1. How can power variables be used to solve inequality?

Power variables can be used to solve inequality by redistributing resources and opportunities to individuals or groups that are marginalized or disadvantaged. This can involve implementing policies and programs that address systemic inequalities and provide equal access to education, healthcare, and employment opportunities.

2. What are some examples of power variables that contribute to inequality?

Some examples of power variables that contribute to inequality include wealth, education level, race, gender, and social class. These factors can create disparities in access to resources, opportunities, and decision-making power, leading to unequal outcomes for individuals and groups.

3. How can addressing power variables lead to a more equal society?

Addressing power variables can lead to a more equal society by promoting social justice and reducing disparities between different groups. By recognizing and addressing the systemic inequalities that are created by power imbalances, we can create a more fair and just society for all individuals.

4. What role do power relationships play in perpetuating inequality?

Power relationships play a significant role in perpetuating inequality by maintaining structures and systems that benefit those in positions of power. This can lead to the concentration of resources and opportunities in the hands of a few, while others are left with limited access and opportunities.

5. How can individuals use their own power to help solve inequality?

Individuals can use their own power to help solve inequality by being aware of their own privilege and using it to support and uplift marginalized individuals and groups. This can involve actively advocating for social justice, supporting policies and initiatives that promote equality, and engaging in respectful dialogue and education about systemic inequalities.