Solving Linearized EFE for Newtonian Potential Under Lorentz Gauge

In summary: I ll try to solve it another way.1) The argument is that ##\partial_t## is of order ##v \partial_x##. Since ##v\ll 1##, the ##\partial_t## terms are negligible.2) This is just computing the trace of ##h##. First step is the definition of the trace. Second step is using that ##\bar h## is the trace-reversed perturbation (take the trace of the definition of ##\bar h_{ab}##). Last step is using that the 00 component is assumed to completely dominate ##\bar h##.3) No. The entire argumentation is based on the 00 component
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Under the Lorentz Gauge the Einstein Field Equations are given as

$$G^{\alpha \beta} = -\frac{1}{2}\square \bar{h}^{\alpha \beta}$$

Then the linearized EFE becomes,

$$\square \bar{h}^{\mu\nu} = -16 \pi T^{\mu\nu}$$

For the later parts, I ll share pictures from the book

1621685421634.png
1621685459266.png
I have couple of questions

1) I did not understand how the ##\square## becomes ##\nabla^2## for this case.

2) I did not understand equation 8.47 at all.

3) I also did not understand 8.49. Since he only defined $$\nabla^2\bar(h)^{0 0} = -16 \pi \rho$$.

Is there also terms like ##\nabla^2\bar(h)^{xx} = -16 \pi \rho##, ##\nabla^2\bar(h)^{yy} = -16 \pi \rho## and ##\nabla^2\bar(h)^{zz} = -16 \pi \rho## ?

This might be helpful for you guys
1621685866975.png

Please help. Thanks

For instance, by using 8.31 and 8.46 I can write,

$$h^{0 0} = -4\phi - \frac{1}{2} (-1) \bar{h}$$ but what is ##\bar{h}## here ?

If we only know (8.45), how can we calculate ##h^{xx}## ?

Attachments

• 1621685438572.png
    1621685438572.png
    28 KB · Views: 92
Physics news on Phys.org
1) The argument is that ##\partial_t## is of order ##v \partial_x##. Since ##v\ll 1##, the ##\partial_t## terms are negligible.

2) This is just computing the trace of ##h##. First step is the definition of the trace. Second step is using that ##\bar h## is the trace-reversed perturbation (take the trace of the definition of ##\bar h_{ab}##). Last step is using that the 00 component is assumed to completely dominate ##\bar h##.

3) No. The entire argumentation is based on the 00 component of the stress energy tensor dominating and all other terms therefore being negligible.

Likes vanhees71 and Arman777
Orodruin said:
1) The argument is that ##\partial_t## is of order ##v \partial_x##. Since ##v\ll 1##, the ##\partial_t## terms are negligible.

2) This is just computing the trace of ##h##. First step is the definition of the trace. Second step is using that ##\bar h## is the trace-reversed perturbation (take the trace of the definition of ##\bar h_{ab}##). Last step is using that the 00 component is assumed to completely dominate ##\bar h##.

3) No. The entire argumentation is based on the 00 component of the stress energy tensor dominating and all other terms therefore being negligible.
Thanks for your answer.

1) I understand this one

2-3) So you mean ##\bar{h}^{00} \gg \bar{h}^{11}, \bar{h}^{22} , \bar{h}^{33}## ?

If that's the case, then how can we calculate ##h^{xx}, h^{yy}## and ##h^{zz}## ?

Okay, solved it. Nvm

1. What is the "Linearized EFE" and why is it important?

The Linearized Einstein Field Equations (EFE) are a set of equations that describe the behavior of gravity in the framework of general relativity. They are important because they allow us to understand how matter and energy interact with spacetime, and how this interaction produces the force of gravity.

2. What is the "Newtonian Potential" and how does it relate to the Linearized EFE?

The Newtonian Potential is a concept from classical mechanics that describes the gravitational potential energy of a point mass in a gravitational field. In the context of the Linearized EFE, it is used to approximate the behavior of gravity in weak gravitational fields, such as those found in our solar system.

3. What is the "Lorentz Gauge" and why is it used in solving the Linearized EFE?

The Lorentz Gauge is a mathematical condition that simplifies the equations of motion in general relativity by removing certain degrees of freedom. It is used in solving the Linearized EFE because it allows us to focus on the important aspects of the equations and make them easier to solve.

4. What are the steps involved in solving the Linearized EFE for Newtonian Potential under Lorentz Gauge?

The steps involved in solving the Linearized EFE for Newtonian Potential under Lorentz Gauge include: setting up the equations using the Lorentz Gauge condition, solving for the metric tensor components, calculating the Ricci tensor and scalar curvature, and finally solving for the gravitational potential using the Poisson equation.

5. How does solving the Linearized EFE for Newtonian Potential under Lorentz Gauge help us understand the behavior of gravity?

By solving the Linearized EFE for Newtonian Potential under Lorentz Gauge, we can gain a better understanding of how gravity works in weak gravitational fields. This allows us to make predictions and test the validity of general relativity in these situations, and ultimately helps us to better understand the fundamental nature of gravity and its effects on the universe.