Solving Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is having trouble accessing the website www.digikey.com, specifically when trying to click on the "capacitor" link. They have tried restarting their laptop, using different browsers, updating their browser, trying a different desktop, disabling blocks on their router, and updating the firmware, but the issue persists. They have also confirmed that the issue is not with their computer, but may be with their Linksys router. They have tried troubleshooting by directly connecting their computer to the modem, but the problem still occurs. They have also disabled their Norton firewall, but it did not help. They have called Digikey, but the issue remains unresolved.
yungman
Hi
I have issue going to www.digikey.com starting two days ago. I can open the main page, but when I click eg. "capacitor" to look for capacitor, it fail to connect. It did the same on all the others. Basically I cannot go beyond the main page. I have no issue going on any other site. this is what I have done:

1) I restarted the laptop, did not help.
2) I tried Firefox, Chrome and IE, all did not work.
3) I updated Firefox, did not help.
4) I tried on another desktop at home, same thing. So it's not the computer.
5) I went back to work and use their wireless, it worked. So the problem points to my Linksys router.
6) I type 192.168.1.1 and log onto the router and updated the firmware. Did not help.
7) I disable all blocks on the router, did not help.

My Linksys model is EA6100
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZWQTKO/?tag=pfamazon01-20
[URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZWQTKO/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL]
I am running out of ideas how to troubleshoot. Please help.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
This could be an issue with your internet service provider, but I'm not sure what the issue could be. Can you directly connect your computer to the (cable or dsl or ?) modem and retry?

if it works on other sites but not digkey then perhaps its a digikey problem and you should contact them to let them know. Another option is to switch browsers as the html of the web page may not be properly formatted and the browser is having an issue with it. (Oops I saw you did that).

As an example, iPad users know that flash just doesn't work (Jobs hated it, said it was buggy and refused to support it) so to view flash based sites we'd need to sign on with another browser on another machine with flash support enabled.

When I tested it, it worked the url I used was:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/capacitors/en

The en probably means english are you getting a different url between home and work?

Lastly, they could have been doing site maintenance and consequently some links would fail.

yungman said:
it fail to connect.
Was there no response, did you get an error message, did the page refresh, are you using an ad blocker, are you using the "hosts" file? ANY more details you have would help deciding what direction to go from here.

There is a free program available that reports/can log all Internet accesses to & from your computer. It is a bit involved to use so you may have to find an experienced technical friend to help you use it.
https://www.wireshark.org/
Wireshark will help you determine if the problem is in your machine or outside it.

rcgldr said:
This could be an issue with your internet service provider, but I'm not sure what the issue could be. Can you directly connect your computer to the (cable or dsl or ?) modem and retry?
Thanks for the reply, the desktop I tested connects to the Linksys directly by ethernet cable, not wireless. It failed also.

Tom.G said:
Was there no response, did you get an error message, did the page refresh, are you using an ad blocker, are you using the "hosts" file? ANY more details you have would help deciding what direction to go from here.

There is a free program available that reports/can log all Internet accesses to & from your computer. It is a bit involved to use so you may have to find an experienced technical friend to help you use it.
https://www.wireshark.org/
Wireshark will help you determine if the problem is in your machine or outside it.

Attached is the error message. Should I call Linksys?

thanks

alan

Attachments

• Digikey error message.JPG
    Digikey error message.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 520
yungman said:
Attached is the error message. Should I call Linksys?
No, at least not yet.
The most likely things are:
1) Your browser(s) are set to refuse cookies
2) An Ad blocker you are using is configured to block a site that the Digikey page wants
3) The Router is configured to block a site that the Digikey page wants
4) There is an error on the Digikey page

For further troubleshooting, on the desktop machine, disconnect its network cable from the Router and plug it into the Modem. If the problem is cured then the Router is causing the trouble (misconfigured?).

I took a quick look here with Wireshark. The Digikey site connects to three other sites when switching to the Capacitors page: I spotted the Amazon server farm, the Akamai server farm, and insnw.net. There may be others I missed. The Akamai network is widely used for both content and Ad serving, so it may be getting blocked on you machines, or server.

Tom.G said:
No, at least not yet.
The most likely things are:
1) Your browser(s) are set to refuse cookies
2) An Ad blocker you are using is configured to block a site that the Digikey page wants
3) The Router is configured to block a site that the Digikey page wants
4) There is an error on the Digikey page

For further troubleshooting, on the desktop machine, disconnect its network cable from the Router and plug it into the Modem. If the problem is cured then the Router is causing the trouble (misconfigured?).

I took a quick look here with Wireshark. The Digikey site connects to three other sites when switching to the Capacitors page: I spotted the Amazon server farm, the Akamai server farm, and insnw.net. There may be others I missed. The Akamai network is widely used for both content and Ad serving, so it may be getting blocked on you machines, or server.

Thanks for the reply. I attached the drawing of the network connection of my system. The phone line goes to the Netgear DM111PSP, a ethernet cable connects from the Netgear to the Linksys. The desktop connect to the Linksys by ethernet cable. The laptop connect wirelessly to the Linksys.

I tried plugging the desktop directly to the Netgear bypassing the Linksys. It still failed. So the Linksys is not the problem. The problem can only be either with ATT or the Netgear.

I forgot to mention I disable the Norton firewall on my computer, it did not help.

I called Digikey and they don't know of any problem on their side. The fact I went to my company and can access Digikey with no problem.

As for browser, all 3 (IE, firefox and Chrome) browsers failed the same way. I am not sure it's cookie problem.

Any other suggestion?

thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Network connection.jpg
    Network connection.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 512
Try typing ping www.digikey.com into a command window. If it says "Reply from number.number.number.number: bytes=32 time=number TT:=56" there is nothing wrong with your internet connection and the problem is your browser.

Try your Laptop using somebody elses WiFi. (Friend, work, coffee shop, laundromat, Starbucks, motel, etc.)

Vanadium 50 said:
Try typing ping www.digikey.com into a command window. If it says "Reply from number.number.number.number: bytes=32 time=number TT:=56" there is nothing wrong with your internet connection and the problem is your browser.

I type "ping digikey.com" attached is the reply in cmd. I think it's replying ok. I typed 204.221.76.76, I reach the front page of Digikey. I can always get that, it's the second step that fails. I can click anything on the manual and it will not work.

Thanks

Attachments

• Ping.JPG
    Ping.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Try your Laptop using somebody elses WiFi. (Friend, work, coffee shop, laundromat, Starbucks, motel, etc.)
I did, it works in my company's WiFi.

yungman said:
it didn't like it.

You really need to provide the exact message. Was the message "I don't like this?"

Vanadium 50 said:
You really need to provide the exact message. Was the message "I don't like this?"
I screen printed the error message in post #6.

thanks

To sum it up, I have no issue to get to the Digikey site as proven by pinging or just simply type in 204.221.76.76. Problem is I can't go any further after I got into the main page. My laptop have no issue going further into Digikey site when I connected to my company's WiFi. Both my laptop and the desktop have the same issue. I remove the Linksys router and hook directly to the Netgear Modem, still had the same problem.

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated as I work at home and frequent Digikey site for work.

Thanks

yungman said:
I did, it works in my company's WiFi.

Alright! Now that narrows it to three-plus possibilities:

1) It is your Modem (temporarily swapping in a different Modem may require the co-operation of your ISP),
- OR -
2) One of the sites Digikey uses is on a blacklist somewhere and is being blocked (usually corrected in a few days to a few weeks),
- OR -
3) You or your ISP is on a blacklist somewhere and you are being blocked further upstream.
- OR -
?) Something I haven't thought of yet.

You might be able to get your ISP out there for some free troubleshooting, especially if it's their Modem. Tell them you can connect with other WiFi and that your desktop fails even connected directly to the Modem.

If that fails, investigating with Wireshark (see Post #4) is the next step. You can see source & destination addresses and individual packet contents,
If you receive a packet of type [RST, ACK], that is a RESET command. It closes and cancels the connection. The two main triggers of a RST are you are being blocked, or that a secure HTTPS connection is being requested and there is not a compatible encryption protocol the two sites can agree on (you and where you are trying to connect.) Since encryption is done in the browser, that doesn't seem to be your case.

This is getting interesting. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress, or lack thereof.

Likes yungman
Tom.G said:
Alright! Now that narrows it to three-plus possibilities:

1) It is your Modem (temporarily swapping in a different Modem may require the co-operation of your ISP),
- OR -
2) One of the sites Digikey uses is on a blacklist somewhere and is being blocked (usually corrected in a few days to a few weeks),
- OR -
3) You or your ISP is on a blacklist somewhere and you are being blocked further upstream.
- OR -
?) Something I haven't thought of yet.

You might be able to get your ISP out there for some free troubleshooting, especially if it's their Modem. Tell them you can connect with other WiFi and that your desktop fails even connected directly to the Modem.

If that fails, investigating with Wireshark (see Post #4) is the next step. You can see source & destination addresses and individual packet contents,
If you receive a packet of type [RST, ACK], that is a RESET command. It closes and cancels the connection. The two main triggers of a RST are you are being blocked, or that a secure HTTPS connection is being requested and there is not a compatible encryption protocol the two sites can agree on (you and where you are trying to connect.) Since encryption is done in the browser, that doesn't seem to be your case.

This is getting interesting. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress, or lack thereof.

I don't have anyone that is good at computer for the moment, can you help me getting started. I already downloaded and installed Wireshark.

You think buying another modem will help? Anyway to test whether the Netgear modem is at fault?

When I click "capacitor" in digikey main manu, it would not work. Is that still the same IP address 204.221.76.76? I am puzzled why I can get onto the main IP address but being blocked a step further.

Thanks

yungman said:
I screen printed the error message in post #6.

Not the error (or whatever the outcome was of the ping test)

I give up. If you're not going to answer questions, you can solve this on your own.

I don't understand what you me to provide.

Problem solved. A friend on mine suggested changing the DNS server. Works like a champ.

Thanks

Attachments

• Change DNS server.JPG
    Change DNS server.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 494
Likes Tom.G

1. What is the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue?

The Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue refers to a problem that some users have experienced with their Linksys EA6100 modem, where the modem fails to connect to the internet or experiences intermittent connection drops.

2. What causes the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue?

The Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated firmware, incorrect network settings, or hardware malfunctions.

3. How can I troubleshoot the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue?

To troubleshoot the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue, you can try resetting the modem, updating the firmware, checking network settings, and checking for any hardware malfunctions. You can also contact Linksys customer support for assistance.

4. Is there a permanent solution to the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to the Linksys EA6100 Modem Issue, as it can be caused by various factors. However, regularly updating the firmware and ensuring correct network settings can help prevent this issue from occurring.

5. Can I still use my Linksys EA6100 modem if I am experiencing the issue?

Yes, you can still use your Linksys EA6100 modem even if you are experiencing the issue. However, you may experience intermittent connection drops, which can be frustrating. It is recommended to troubleshoot and resolve the issue to ensure a stable and reliable internet connection.