1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving simultaneous equations

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1

chwala

Gold Member

I am trying to solve the simultaneous equation 2^x+y = 6^y and 3^x = 6(2^y) i have solved as follows
    3^x . 2^x+y = 3^x . 6^y
    3^x. 2^x+y = 6(2^y). 2^x+y on subtraction
    i get
    3^x.6^y - 6(2^y).2^x+y = 0 then
    3^x. 6^y = 6(2^y). 2^x. 2^y on solving i get
    x log (3/2)= log 6+y log(3/2) now i do i get x and y from this step. the answers are x=2.71 and y = 1.71 regards

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Okay, let's see. So just to make sure I have the problem clear... your two equations are [itex]2^{x+y} = 6^{y}[/itex] and [itex]3^{x} = 6 \cdot 2^{y}[/itex]. Fun looking problem, really. Well, let's see... if you multiply both sides of the second equation by 2^x, you get this:

[tex]6^{x} = 6 \cdot 2^{x+y}[/tex]

Then if we substitute the second equation in for the first, we get this:

[tex]6^{x} = 6 \cdot 6^{y}[/tex]

Now this looks nice and simple. The right side simplifies to 6^(y+1), and so we have 6^(x) = 6^(y+1). Now, there's a certain property, I can't remember what it is, but basically it says if a^x = a^y, then x=y. So using that property, we have x=y+1. Good! We found a simple linear relation between x and y. Now we just need to figure out what satisfies this. To solve that, we substitute y+1 wherever we see an x in the first equation to find the solution for x, which we then need to subtract 1 from that solution to get y. That should be the whole solution set.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3

chwala

Gold Member

Thanks i now get it
    2^x+y =6^y since x=y+1,
    2^y+1+y = 6^y
    2^2y+1 = 6^y
    4^y+2 = 6^y
    log 2 = y log (6/4)
    y= log 2/ log 1.5
    y= 1.709 hence x = 1.709+1 = 2.709

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The property is that the function is "one-to-one": if f is a "one-to-one" function and f(x)= f(y) then x= y. Or, equivalently, that the exponential function, [itex]a^x[/itex], has the inverse function, [itex]log_a(x)[/itex]. If [itex]a^x= a^y[/itex] then [itex]ln(a^x)= ln(a^y)[/itex] so that x= y.

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Ah, thank you, that's the one! Of course, the exponential function is only one-to-one if we assume x and y are both real, but we can safely assume that here.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook