Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving system of equations Mathematica

1. Apr 3, 2017 #1
    I am solving the following system of equations (in matrix form):

##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -2 & -1 & 1 \\ 2 & -3 & 1 & 6 \\ 3 & -5 & 0 & 7 \\ 1 & 0 & 5 & 9 \end{pmatrix}##

I want to solve it using Mathematica, but when I use the command LinearSolve[], I only get back ##\begin{pmatrix} 9 \\ 4 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}##, which is a particular solution. However, I am looking for how to get an output of something like ##\begin{pmatrix} 9 \\ 4 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} + t_1\begin{pmatrix} -5 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}##, where the linear combinations of the basis for the kernel is included. Is there a single command that does this? Or would I have to separately the NullSpace[] command?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2017 #2
    Hi Mr Davis:

I know next to nothing about Mathematica, but I would expect it to have a function you could invoke that would invert a matrix for you. Did you look for one to do that?

ADDED
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Since you got a 3d vector as the solution from a 4d matrix, I am guessing the determinant is zero. I don't understand why the answer would be a 3d vector, so I am at a loss. I would expect, and I am guessing you are looking for, an answer of the form:
    V1 + const x V2​
    where V1 and V2 are 4d vectors. V1 is a solution to
    M x V = V3,​
    and V2 is a solution for
    M x V = 0.​

I have nothing to suggest about how to approach this using Mathematica.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted