Problems solving this differential equation for a Pendulum with Mathematica

In summary, The conversation discusses difficulties with solving a specific differential equation in Mathematica. The user shares their code and asks for help in identifying the issue. Another user suggests adjusting the initial conditions and provides a solution for differentiating between the two functions in a plot.
Lambda96
TL;DR Summary
Mathematica does not solve the differential equations
Hi,

unfortunately, I have problems that Mathematica does not solve the differential equation. The task is as follows and it is about the task c

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 18.54.02.png

In the Mathematica Notebook, the following was written for task c

"You can use the following two lines of code to produce the solutions of the exact and approximated differential equations with boundary conditions. After that, write a plot[ ] function to sketch the two together."

exact[t_] := Evaluate[phi[t] /. NDSolve[..., phi[t], {t, 0, 20}]];
approx[t_] := Evaluate[phi[t] /. DSolve[..., phi[t], t]];I then tried to calculate the differential equation for equation (4) using the two codes and got the following

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 18.58.49.png

I then tried solving the differential equation using only NDSolve and get the following.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 19.04.34.png

I am a beginner in Mathematica, so I do not know what I have done wrong in the two formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
As the error messages say, your initial conditions are wrong. You have
Code:
phi[0]==0
and
Code:
phi[0]==Pi/2
which is not meaningful. You should have the first derivative of phi for one of those.
Code:
phi'[0]==...

Thanks Dale for your help and for looking over my code 👍

I have now tried plotting the differential equations again, but this time with phi'[0]=0 and with ##\gamma=0.1## and got the following.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 21.44.11.png

Is there any way that I can show in the plot which function is which?

Lambda96 said:
Is there any way that I can show in the plot which function is which?
There are different options. Try for instance
Code:
Plot[{exact[t],approx[t]},{t,0,20},PlotLegends->"Expressions"]

Thanks DrClaude for your help, this is exactly what I was looking for 👍

Likes berkeman

1. Can Mathematica solve any type of differential equation?

Yes, Mathematica is a powerful computational software that can solve a wide range of differential equations, including those that are non-linear and involve multiple variables.

2. How does Mathematica solve differential equations?

Mathematica uses advanced algorithms and numerical methods to solve differential equations. It converts the equation into a system of algebraic equations and then uses numerical techniques to find the solution.

3. Can Mathematica solve differential equations with initial conditions?

Yes, Mathematica can solve differential equations with given initial conditions. These initial conditions can be specified in the syntax of the differential equation function.

4. Is it possible to visualize the solution to a differential equation using Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions that allow for visualizing the solution to a differential equation. This includes plotting the solution over a specified range or creating interactive animations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for solving differential equations?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it may not be suitable for every problem. The computational time and memory required may increase for complex or large-scale problems. Additionally, it may not be able to find an analytical solution for some equations.