Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the differential equation of an object oscillating in water.

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    I have a differential equation to solve below on the motion of an object oscillating in water with a restoring force equal to -Aρgx and a damping force equal to -kv^2.
    ma+kv^2+Aρgx=0
    K, A, ρ and g are constants and I need to solve the equation for x. a (acceleration). v (velocity). x (displacement from the equilibrium position).
    I need a bit of help on this one because I dont know whether it would need a substitution to eliminate v^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2
    Your differential equation is of the form

[itex]x'' = f(x,x')[/itex]

where primes indicate derivatives wrt to time. When ever the independent variable (in this case time) does not appear explicitly in f, then try the substitution

[itex]x' = z[/itex].

Using the chain rule you can show that
    [itex]x'' = z\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{d\left(z^2\right)}{dx}[/itex].

Thus the substation converts a second order nonlinear equation into a first order nonlinear equation.

In your case, you can solve the resulting equation by using an integrating factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook