1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the logistic growth model

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    The logistic growth model is the following:

dx/dt=rx(1-x/K), with r and K and as constants, and x is a function of t.

I'm really not sure where to begin. First I tried separation of variables, but that didn't work out (and I don't even know if I was doing it right). Should I even be looking for an integration factor in solving this? It looks simple....but I guess I'm rusty in this.

The end result is supposed to be:

x(t)=K/(1+ce^-rt) c=[K-x(0)]/x(0)

Second, I tried deriving this equation and getting it to look like the previous equation, but I think I'm missing somethings.

So just a tip or hint that can push me down the right track would be great. Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Separation of variables is the right way to go. It gives you an x integral you can do easily by partial fractions. The rest is algebra. Get started and if you get stuck let us know.

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    So separation of variables in this case would be A(t)dt+B(x)dx=0. So I would have dx/rx=(1-x/K)dt. Then, I should integrate both sides? Is this the right track?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put ALL of the x's on one side with the dx.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    So I get dx/(rx(1-(x/K))=dt. Then I should use partial fractions to integrate?

7. Oct 8, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. Use partial fractions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?