Solving Titration Problems with Acid Rain

• Thread starter louischaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, a user encountered a problem while conducting a titration to find the concentration of sulphuric acid in a sample of "acid rain" using sodium hydroxide and thymolphthalein as an indicator. After adding NaOH, the solution turned purple but then returned to its clear state after stirring. This continued until the expected result was far exceeded. One possibility is that CO2 in the air caused extra acidification, but this is unlikely to have a large effect. The user's chemistry teacher expected the concentration of SH204 to be 0.005M. Near the end point, the solution may absorb some carbon dioxide from the air and cause a pH drift. The fact that H2SO4 is a poly
louischaman
Firstly his is my first post on this forum so hello.

Okay, well i encountered a major problem while doing my titration 2 days ago and I am unsure of why.

the titration was to find out the concentration of sulphuric acid in a sample of "acid rain" (i recon it was just sulphuric acid dissolved in water to form a weak concentration, not actual acid rain) using sodium hydroxide to nuetrelise it and thymolphthalein as an indicator.

Volume of SH2O4 = 25cm3
Concentration of NaOH = 0.01M

After adding about 26 cm3 of NaOH the solution as excpected turned purple due to the pH change and the thymolphthalein. However after stirring swilling round the solution in the conical flask for 30-60 seconds the mixture retuned to its clear state. I then would add more NaOH till the solution turned purple again and then repeated the process. this continued till way over the expected result. What happened??

One possibility is that the CO2 in the air caused extra acidification of the solution but i wouldn't have thought it would have such a large effect.

my chemistry teacher said that we should have found the concentration of SH204 to be 0.005M.

If C02 does change my results what can i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to titrate until you have a color persistent for at least about a minute. You have a low concentration of acid, but in any case, near the end point your solution may still absorb a little carbon dioxide from the air and pH drift downward.

would that fact that H2SO4 is a polyprotic acid do anything?

Eshi said:
would that fact that H2SO4 is a polyprotic acid do anything?

No. In fact, the second dissociation is fairly strong.

What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration.

How can titration be used to solve acid rain problems?

Titration can be used to determine the concentration of acidic compounds in rainwater, which can help identify the severity and source of acid rain.

What is the process for solving titration problems with acid rain?

The process involves collecting a sample of rainwater, adding a known amount of a base solution to neutralize the acid, and then using a titration calculation to determine the concentration of the acid in the rainwater.

What equipment is needed for solving titration problems with acid rain?

Equipment typically includes a burette, a pipette, an indicator solution, and a solution of a known concentration (usually a base).

What are some limitations of using titration to solve acid rain problems?

Some limitations include potential errors in measurement or calculation, the need for precise and accurate equipment, and the fact that titration only measures the concentration of specific acidic compounds and not overall pH levels.