1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving transcendental equation- Quantum Mechanics

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    I don't know if I am being dumb or not but I need to solve a transcendental equation numerically and I need to write a program that can do this. The equation is so I can find the the ground state energy of a wave function in a semi-infinite well. I was told to use the Newton-Raphson method to do it and I am thinking of a transcendental equation found in the book would be the one I need to solve (if anyone thinks differently let me know). Here is the equation:

where z(o)=(a/h)*sqrt(2mV(o))

and V(o)= -10 eV

This is written in maple code btw. I'm thinking I can solve for z by using Newton's method and then solve for E afterwards since z is a function of E. That's the only idea I have that I would need Newton's method to do so can someone let me know if I am on the right track or give me some hints or something.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, so you're basically after a programming procedure, since you've already decided upon using Newton-Raphson?
  4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    Well, we have to use Newton Raphson. I would much rather solve it graphically like the book but that's not the case. I may have been vague but my problem is that I am I have no idea if I am going the right direction or not. Am I using the right equation to solve for E? If I am can I get some hints on the programming procedure?

Also, unless I can make Maple compile a program or something (if it even does that), I have to write it in C++.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?