Solving (x²-1)y'' + xy' - 4y = 0 with substitution x = cos(θ)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
the0
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the set of functions from [itex](-1,1)→ℝ[/itex] which are solutions of:

[itex](x^{2}-1)\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+x\frac{dy}{dx}-4y = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



There is a hint which says to use the change of variable:
[itex]x=cos(θ)[/itex]

doing this I get:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dθ} = -sin(θ)[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]

[itex]dx = -sin(θ)dθ[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]

[itex](a): \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dθ}\frac{1}{-sin(θ)}[/itex]

[itex](b): \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d^{2}y}{dθ^{2}}\frac{1}{sin^{2}(θ)}[/itex]

Can I do this?!?

If so, substituting everything in gives:

[itex]-sin^{2}(θ)\frac{d^{2}y}{dθ^{2}}\frac{1}{sin^{2}(θ)} + cos(θ)\frac{dy}{dθ}\frac{1}{-sin(θ)} - 4y = 0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]

[itex]y'' + cot(θ)y' + 4y = 0[/itex]

Now... I am not sure.
Have I made some mistake?
Or should I be able to solve this?
Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi the0! :smile:
the0 said:
[itex](a): \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dθ}\frac{1}{-sin(θ)}[/itex]

[itex](b): \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d^{2}y}{dθ^{2}}\frac{1}{sin^{2}(θ)}[/itex]

no, your (b) doesn't include dy/dθ d/dx(-1/sinθ)