Some basic question about vector spaces

In summary: I'm not sure. Maybe because it's catchy? Anyway, the axioms you need for a vector space are called the vector space axioms. They are:Every vector space has a set of vectors called the basis.Every vector space has a linear addition operation: you add two vectors by adding their components along the direction of the vector that they share.Every vector space has a linear multiplication operation: you multiply two vectors by multiplying their components along the direction of the vector that they share.
karseme
I need some help understanding one task. I know that for some structure to be a vector space all axioms should apply. So if any of those axioms fails then the given structure is not a vector space. Anyway, I have a task where I need to check if \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}^n_\mathbb{R} \) is a vector space. But, I am having trouble with understanding what \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}^n_\mathbb{R} \) means. What is a complex vector space? I know that every vector space has 'V', which is a collection of 'vectors', and 'F' some field(real or complex), also two operations are defined with the given axioms being vector addition and scalar multiplication. But, where do \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \) fit in this context? Is it not a symbol for complex vector space over a field \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \)? But, I am not sure how those relate to axioms. For, example \(\displaystyle \alpha (\beta a)=(\alpha \beta)a, \forall \alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{F}, \forall a \in V \)...and if we consider this task that I have then \(\displaystyle \alpha , \beta \in \mathbb{R} \). But, what about \(\displaystyle a \in ? \)? How does this relate to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)?

I searched for some definitions of a vector space even on the internet, but what confuses me also is what is connection between vector space and vectors? For example , \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n \) is a vector space, then for n=1 \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \) is also a vector space. But, I don't see vectors anywhere if I have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \), those are just real numbers. So, this term of vector space is kind of really abstract to me.

I would be grateful if someone could explain me this just a little bit. In a few sentences. What I would like is for somebody to make the meaning of a term 'vector space' a little bit clearer to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I don't recognize the notation $\mathbb{C}^n_{\mathbb{R}}$. It should be looked up in the source where it is encountered. Perhaps it is the space $\mathbb{C}\times\dots\times\mathbb{C}$ ($n$ times) over $\mathbb{R}$.

karseme said:
For, example \(\displaystyle \alpha (\beta a)=(\alpha \beta)a, \forall \alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{F}, \forall a \in V \)...and if we consider this task that I have then \(\displaystyle \alpha , \beta \in \mathbb{R} \). But, what about \(\displaystyle a \in ? \)?
If we consider $\mathbb{C}$ as a vector space over $\mathbb{R}$, then you are right that in your example $\alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{R}$ and $a\in\mathbb{C}$.

karseme said:
\(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n \) is a vector space, then for n=1 \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \) is also a vector space. But, I don't see vectors anywhere if I have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \), those are just real numbers.
In linear algebra, the term "vector" does not mean anything similar to a pointed segment. It simply means an element of a vector space. So in this case ($\mathbb{R}$ as a vector space over $\mathbb{R}$), real numbers are both vectors and scalars, i.e., elements of the underlying field. In other vector spaces vectors can be functions and other abstract entities that don't have a geometric interpretation. You are right that the concept of a vector space is abstract, but this makes reasoning about vector spaces very general and applicable to many structures.

Let's say I kind of understand what you have explained. The only definition that I knew for vectors until now was actually that they are line segments that have starting point and ending point, and the properties which characterise them are their modulus(length), direction and orientation. So, basically you are saying that "vectors" in this, let's say, theory about vector spaces are not those pointed line segments. But, why would they call them "vectors" then, and "vector" space. Is there any reason that they are called the same name?

Thanks anyway, you did make it a little bit clearer. Hopefully, with time, it will become easier to understand all this.

karseme said:
Let's say I kind of understand what you have explained. The only definition that I knew for vectors until now was actually that they are line segments that have starting point and ending point, and the properties which characterise them are their modulus(length), direction and orientation. So, basically you are saying that "vectors" in this, let's say, theory about vector spaces are not those pointed line segments. But, why would they call them "vectors" then, and "vector" space. Is there any reason that they are called the same name?

Thanks anyway, you did make it a little bit clearer. Hopefully, with time, it will become easier to understand all this.
You said before that "I know that for some structure to be a vector space all axioms should apply" so you know that vectors, in this sense (which is really a physics concept, not mathematics", are not all possible vector spaces. The word "vector" is used in mathematics because those "physics" vectors do form a "vector space" in the mathematical sense. The "mathematics" vector is a generalization of the "physics" vector.

1. What is a vector space and how is it defined?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, along with two operations - vector addition and scalar multiplication. A vector space is defined by a list of axioms or rules that the vectors must follow, such as closure under addition and multiplication, existence of an additive identity and inverse, and distributivity properties.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors are represented by arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction. Scalars, on the other hand, are represented by single numbers.

3. Can a vector space have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of dimensions. In fact, most commonly used vector spaces, such as the space of real numbers, have an infinite number of dimensions.

4. What is the importance of vector spaces in science and engineering?

Vector spaces are essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for describing and manipulating physical quantities, as well as solving complex problems.

5. How are vector spaces related to linear transformations?

Vector spaces and linear transformations are closely related concepts. A linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another, while preserving the structure of the vector space. In other words, the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication must still hold after the transformation is applied. This allows for a deeper understanding of vector spaces and their properties.