##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}\cong\mathbb{C}\otimes\mathbb{C}##

Korybut
TL;DR Summary
Algebra isomorphism
Hello!

Reading book o Clifford algebra authors claim that ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}\cong\mathbb{C}\otimes_{\mathbb{R}}\mathbb{C}## as algebras. Unfortunately proof is absent and provided hint is pretty misleading

As vector spaces they are obviously isomorphic since
##\dim_{\mathbb{R}} \mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}=\dim_{\mathbb{R}} \mathbb{C}\otimes_{\mathbb{R}}\mathbb{C}=4##.
Product in ##\mathbb{C}\otimes_{\mathbb{R}} \mathbb{C}## looks as follows
##(z_1\otimes z_2) (z_3\otimes z_4)=z_1 z_3 \otimes z_2 z_4##
Product in ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}## looks as follows
##(z_1,z_2) (z_3,z_4)=(z_1 z_3,z_2 z_4)##
From that perspective it is quite tempting to identify ##z_1 \otimes z_2## with ##(z_1,z_2)## however ##z_1\otimes z_2## and ##\lambda z_1 \otimes \frac{1}{\lambda} z_2## (for some real ##\lambda##) are the same elements in ##\mathbb{C}\otimes \mathbb{C}## but they will be mapped to different elements of ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}##. Obviously I need better map if this isomorphism indeed take place. But which one?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
##z_1\otimes z_2 \mapsto (z_1z_2, z_1\bar{z}_2)##

Likes Korybut
martinbn said:
##z_1\otimes z_2 \mapsto (z_1z_2, z_1\bar{z}_2)##
I've seen this formula before and indeed this identification doesn't suffer from the problem I mentioned earlier however I don't get why this is isomorphism.
If I consider this map
##i: \mathbb{C}\otimes \mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}##
then I can look at element which are mapped to zero in ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}## and there are way more than one.

Korybut said:
I've seen this formula before and indeed this identification doesn't suffer from the problem I mentioned earlier however I don't get why this is isomorphism.
If I consider this map
##i: \mathbb{C}\otimes \mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}##
then I can look at element which are mapped to zero in ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}## and there are way more than one.
How? If it is mapped to ##0##, then either ##z_1## or ##z_2## is ##0##, so ##z_1\otimes z_2## is also ##0##.

Likes Korybut
martinbn said:
This one shows up at the bottom of the page
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/tensor-product-of-c-with-itself-over-r.675424/
but it should read as follow

##\mathbb C \otimes \mathbb C = \mathbb C \otimes \mathbb R[T]/<T^2+1> = \mathbb C[T]/<T^2+1>=\mathbb C[T]/<(T-i)(T+i)> = \mathbb C \oplus \mathbb C##
I wish someone can explain notation in this formula. What is ##T##? What does ##/<...> means?

martinbn said:
How? If it is mapped to ##0##, then either ##z_1## or ##z_2## is ##0##, so ##z_1\otimes z_2## is also ##0##.
Sorry! My Bad! Indeed! Thanks for help!

Korybut said:
I wish someone can explain notation in this formula. What is ##T##? What does ##/<...> means?
##T## is a variable, you are looking at polynomials. ##/<...>## means the quotient by the ideal.

ps By the way which book is that?

martinbn said:
ps By the way which book is that?
Lawson and Michelson "Spin Geometry". They suggested the following
##(1,0)\rightarrow \frac{1}{2}(1\otimes 1+i\otimes i)##
##(0,1)\rightarrow \frac{1}{2}(1\otimes 1 -i \otimes i)##
And I don't get how I proceed with the full proof with just that

Korybut said:
Lawson and Michelson "Spin Geometry". They suggested the following
##(1,0)\rightarrow \frac{1}{2}(1\otimes 1+i\otimes i)##
##(0,1)\rightarrow \frac{1}{2}(1\otimes 1 -i \otimes i)##
And I don't get how I proceed with the full proof with just that
This is meant to be as ##\mathbb C##-algebras, where the structure on the tensor product is through the first argument. If you solve it for the inverse map it sends ##1\otimes 1## to ##(1,1)## and ##i\otimes i## to ##(1,-1)##. As real algebras it will map as follows

##1\otimes 1## to ##(1,1)##
##i\otimes 1## to ##(i,i)##
##i\otimes i## to ##(1,-1)##
##-1\otimes i## to ##(i,-i)##

which is the map ##a\otimes b \mapsto (a\bar{b}, ab)## in that basis.

Likes Korybut
martinbn said:
This is meant to be as ##\mathbb C##-algebras, where the structure on the tensor product is through the first argument.
Thanks for another clarification. I wish those lines were in the book)

This is one of the cases that show why I dislike the tensor notation without mentioning the scalar field. We have ##\mathbb{C}\otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C}\cong \mathbb{C}^2.##

I first read it as ##\mathbb{C}\otimes_\mathbb{C} \mathbb{C}## which would be isomorphic to ##\mathbb{C}^1.##

fresh_42 said:
This is one of the cases that show why I dislike the tensor notation without mentioning the scalar field. We have ##\mathbb{C}\otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C}\cong \mathbb{C}^2.##

I first read it as ##\mathbb{C}\otimes_\mathbb{C} \mathbb{C}## which would be isomorphic to ##\mathbb{C}^1.##
But he did write it indicating it is over the
reals. See the first post.

Likes fresh_42

What is the meaning of ##\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}\cong\mathbb{C}\otimes\mathbb{C}##?

This equation represents the isomorphism between the direct sum of two complex vector spaces and the tensor product of the same two spaces. It shows that these two operations are essentially equivalent.

What is the difference between the direct sum and the tensor product?

The direct sum of two vector spaces combines them into a larger vector space, while the tensor product combines them into a new type of mathematical object called a tensor. The direct sum is a simpler operation, while the tensor product allows for more complex mathematical operations.

Why is the isomorphism between the direct sum and tensor product important?

This isomorphism allows us to use either the direct sum or the tensor product to represent the same mathematical concept. It also helps us to understand the relationship between these two operations and how they can be used in different contexts.

How is the isomorphism between the direct sum and tensor product proved?

The isomorphism is proved using linear algebra and the properties of vector spaces. It involves showing that the two operations have the same underlying structure and can be mapped onto each other in a one-to-one and onto manner.

What are some practical applications of this isomorphism?

This isomorphism is used in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, functional analysis, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and computer science.