Some hints in seeking a good research field

In summary: Quantum optics is a growing field, but it's not as prestigious as some other areas of physics. The military is interested in it, but it's not the only thing that's important.
maurice74
Hello
I have a research permanent position. My topic is the classical optics.
I do not see much future in the field. All the brilliant physicists I meet are studying some exotic nuclear reactions, or strange theoretical topics. DO you have any hint to better focus my research interest, in order to catch some good topics, in order to publish in advanced journals (like PRL, Science and so on)?
I like my field, and I succed to publish some original ideas, but it is a little field and it is not top-level for the current physics "vogue".
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You're essentailly asking "How can I pick a research field that will give me prestige - associations with brilliant people, publications in respected journals etc.". I have no idea what the best fields are for prestige. Is that the main factor in finding a research topic? Aren't you interested in any aspect of physics?

yes you catched the idea.
no, theoretically the main factori to find a research toipic is the curiosity and the interest on it, but pratically if you are not working in the top level topics (particle physics, especially CERN CMS and so on, astonomy especially cile large aperture telescopes, synchrotron radiation aplications and so on) you are out.
This is my impression, of course

If you read Science, you will know there are virtually no particle physics results in it. If you read PRL, you will know that it covers many different topics, and only a tiny fraction of the output in any subfield makes it to PRL. If you're not reading them, you should.

The problem with asking this question is that what's hot now will very likely NOT be in 10-20 years. It's kinda dangerous to pick a career based on what's "hot".

That said, could you make the transition to quantum optics? That field is booming with no signs of slowing down. The military is very interested in it.

1. What should I consider when choosing a research field?

When seeking a good research field, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and expertise. You should also consider the current trends and advancements in your field, as well as the potential impact and relevance of your research.

2. How can I identify a promising research field?

One way to identify a promising research field is by conducting a literature review to see what areas are currently being studied and where there may be gaps in knowledge. You can also attend conferences and network with other researchers to gain insights into emerging areas of research.

3. Should I focus on a narrow or broad research field?

It depends on your research goals and resources. A narrow research field may allow for a more focused and in-depth study, while a broad research field may offer more opportunities for collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches. Consider your research question and available resources when deciding on the scope of your research field.

4. How can I stay updated on developments in my research field?

To stay updated, you can subscribe to relevant journals or newsletters, attend conferences and seminars, and network with other researchers in your field. You can also follow key organizations and experts on social media or join online communities related to your research field.

5. What are some factors to consider when choosing a research team or mentor?

When choosing a research team or mentor, it is important to consider their expertise, experience, and track record in the field. You should also consider their communication style and compatibility with your research goals and work style. It can also be beneficial to seek diverse perspectives and a supportive and collaborative environment.