1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some hints in seeking a good research field

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    Hello
    I have a research permanent position. My topic is the classical optics.
    I do not see much future in the field. All the brilliant physicists I meet are studying some exotic nuclear reactions, or strange theoretical topics. DO you have any hint to better focus my research interest, in order to catch some good topics, in order to publish in advanced journals (like PRL, Science and so on)?
    I like my field, and I succed to publish some original ideas, but it is a little field and it is not top-level for the current physics "vogue".
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You're essentailly asking "How can I pick a research field that will give me prestige - associations with brilliant people, publications in respected journals etc.". I have no idea what the best fields are for prestige. Is that the main factor in finding a research topic? Aren't you interested in any aspect of physics?

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    yes you catched the idea.
    no, theoretically the main factori to find a research toipic is the curiosity and the interest on it, but pratically if you are not working in the top level topics (particle physics, especially CERN CMS and so on, astonomy especially cile large aperture telescopes, synchrotron radiation aplications and so on) you are out.
    This is my impression, of course

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you read Science, you will know there are virtually no particle physics results in it. If you read PRL, you will know that it covers many different topics, and only a tiny fraction of the output in any subfield makes it to PRL. If you're not reading them, you should.

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5
    The problem with asking this question is that what's hot now will very likely NOT be in 10-20 years. It's kinda dangerous to pick a career based on what's "hot".

That said, could you make the transition to quantum optics? That field is booming with no signs of slowing down. The military is very interested in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook