Some questions about ETH physics

• Thread starter Stan Marsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the ETH physics master program. The participants discussed the reputation and quality of the program, as well as the cost and potential for scholarships and financial aid. They also shared their personal experiences and opinions on the difficulty of getting admitted to ETH and how it compares to other universities. Overall, the consensus was that ETH is a highly respected and prestigious program, and while the cost may be high, there are opportunities for financial assistance.
Stan Marsh
Hi, everyone,

I have just got admission of ETH physics master program. I applied for the scholarship which could cover the cost but the result is still unknown.
I have a few questions now:

1. How good is ETH physics? I know that ETH is renowned for its natural science, but more detailed information would be really helpful. My interest is in theoretical physics and interdisciplinary science, and there is the Pauli center, and ETH seems to have many neuroscience courses. But that's all I know. I would really appreciate it if you can provide me more information.

2. The cost. The cost in the first year is aroud 22,000 Swiss Francs/dollars, as claimed by the official document. It is too high for me to pay it. So 1) if I try to cut my cost, what is the lowest possible annual cost? 2) Someone told me that the phd earned a lot in Swiss, so you can borrow the money and pay the back after one year of phd study. Is it true?

And if you have anything else to say, I will always appreciate it. Thanks a lot, PFers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I am also interested with the answer..

btw Stan Marsh..do you think is it difficult to enter ETH?

Ashuron said:
Well, I am also interested with the answer..

btw Stan Marsh..do you think is it difficult to enter ETH?

Hi, Ashuron.
I have got rejected by some top universities in the US (like Princeton and Cornell). So maybe it's easier to enter ETH then those universities.

Considering the rank of ETH and its renowned physics research, maybe it is a good choice, except that you have a very small chance to get a scholarship for the master program.

Well thanks a lot for your answer..
I am considering for an exchange to ETH in my final year, and try to make acquaintance and apply for the masters program there..

Well for scholarship, I believe I read somewhere on the Swiss embassy website that they offer some form of scholarship for masters students..hope this helps..

i am an undergrad Electrical Engg student. I was interested in Phy Masters From ETH too. What i couldn't get was their basis of selection of students. Is it purely based on Essay and Transcripts or is some orignal Projectwork necesary for selection. Would really b grateful for the Info!

suineglooc said:
i am an undergrad Electrical Engg student. I was interested in Phy Masters From ETH too. What i couldn't get was their basis of selection of students. Is it purely based on Essay and Transcripts or is some orignal Projectwork necesary for selection. Would really b grateful for the Info!

hi, suineglooc,
I have been working in high energy physics group for a long time, I have been doing independent research, but I have no papers currently.
However, I get quite good marks in TOEFL, GRE, GRE physics Sub, and my GPA is ranked top 5% in the department.
So personally I think good scores are enough. But outstanding research experience can always be a big plus wherever you apply to.

@ Stan_marsh Thanx man! real help. Could i ask for your personal opinion on Choosing ETH zurich above other american Universities given i am getting more or less the same amount of scholarships everywhere?

suineglooc said:
@ Stan_marsh Thanx man! real help. Could i ask for your personal opinion on Choosing ETH zurich above other american Universities given i am getting more or less the same amount of scholarships everywhere?

Personally, I think top 6 in the US > ETH > other colleges. I think doing a master in ETH make you better prepared for a phd, and it's not hard to get into a top US college after doing the ETH master.

But that is just my idea, and that rank may change depend on different situations. Please collect as much information as possible before you make any decision.

Hi, I'm applying for this autumn (well, right now ...their horrific application form makes me go nuts). Congratulations for getting admitted.

1. How good is ETH physics? I know that ETH is renowned for its natural science, but more detailed information would be really helpful. My interest is in theoretical physics and interdisciplinary science, and there is the Pauli center, and ETH seems to have many neuroscience courses. But that's all I know. I would really appreciate it if you can provide me more information.

Reputation-wise, they should be (among) the best outside the US/UK. The choice of your future research group might be far more important (and your own performance of course) ...if you are concerned with that.
2. The cost. The cost in the first year is aroud 22,000 Swiss Francs/dollars, as claimed by the official document. It is too high for me to pay it. So 1) if I try to cut my cost, what is the lowest possible annual cost? 2) Someone told me that the phd earned a lot in Swiss, so you can borrow the money and pay the back after one year of phd study. Is it true?

I guess the official document isn't that wrong, but you should be able to stay below 20000CHF. I mean, the rent for a room should be somewhere at 800CHF/month, maybe less if you're lucky but this is the difficult part, then you need food (which is quite expensive), probably at least 400CHF/month and transportation&other stuff, maybe 100-200CHF/month. Then there are the fees, somewehere around 1000CHF/year. Well, no guarantees there.

Yes, PhD students earn money since they work as researchers on their own. It should be enough to cover all your costs and pay back the money you've borrowed. From what I've googled it should be somewhere at 40,000CHF/year (some websites say 60,000, but this seems a bit too high to me). But I also don't know the requirements to become a PhD student.

I have got rejected by some top universities in the US (like Princeton and Cornell). So maybe it's easier to enter ETH then those universities.
Yes, I think so (especially if you're from Europe, which you're probably not since you've already applied ;) ). I've read that 650 of 2600 applicants for all master's programmes were admitted last year (but again, I think it's far easier for EU citizens).

What i couldn't get was their basis of selection of students. Is it purely based on Essay and Transcripts or is some orignal Projectwork necesary for selection. Would really b grateful for the Info!

They won't expect you to have research experience under your belt -- in Switzerland/Germany, this is not that common, the system is a little different.
I guess grades (in physics) are most important and also that you've done courses similar to the ones in their own Bachelor programme.

Last edited:
Stan Marsh said:
Personally, I think top 6 in the US > ETH > other colleges. I think doing a master in ETH make you better prepared for a phd, and it's not hard to get into a top US college after doing the ETH master.

On what do you base those rankings? Looks like patriotic drum beating to me, combined with never forgiving the King for the tea tax. Something more objective:

1 University of Cambridge United Kingdom
2 Harvard University United States
3 Yale University United States
4 UCL (University College London) United Kingdom
5 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) United States
6 University of Oxford United Kingdom
7 Imperial College London United Kingdom
18 ETH Zurich

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/home

Last edited by a moderator:
mal4mac said:
On what do you base those rankings? Looks like patriotic drum beating to me, combined with never forgiving the King for the tea tax. Something more objective:

18 ETH Zurich

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/home

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/physical-sciences.html
Rankings are lame...

mal4mac said:

18 ETH Zurich

Hi, mal4mac

My rank is just a personal opinion. I think graduating from ETH with a master degree will give one a big chance to enter a PhD program in a top US college, and I am also willing to spend one more year to focus on courses instead of research. So between ETH master+top 6 college phd(but spending more time) and a rank 10-20 college phd I would choose the first one.
Anyway, don't take the rank too seriously. It's just based on personal preferences.

TeacupPig said:
Hi, I'm applying for this autumn (well, right now ...their horrific application form makes me go nuts). Congratulations for getting admitted.

Reputation-wise, they should be (among) the best outside the US/UK. The choice of your future research group might be far more important (and your own performance of course) ...if you are concerned with that.

I guess the official document isn't that wrong, but you should be able to stay below 20000CHF. I mean, the rent for a room should be somewhere at 800CHF/month, maybe less if you're lucky but this is the difficult part, then you need food (which is quite expensive), probably at least 400CHF/month and transportation&other stuff, maybe 100-200CHF/month. Then there are the fees, somewehere around 1000CHF/year. Well, no guarantees there.

Yes, PhD students earn money since they work as researchers on their own. It should be enough to cover all your costs and pay back the money you've borrowed. From what I've googled it should be somewhere at 40,000CHF/year (some websites say 60,000, but this seems a bit too high to me). But I also don't know the requirements to become a PhD student.

Yes, I think so (especially if you're from Europe, which you're probably not since you've already applied ;) ). I've read that 650 of 2600 applicants for all master's programmes were admitted last year (but again, I think it's far easier for EU citizens).

They won't expect you to have research experience under your belt -- in Switzerland/Germany, this is not that common, the system is a little different.
I guess grades (in physics) are most important and also that you've done courses similar to the ones in their own Bachelor programme.

Hi, TeacupPig
Thanks for your information, that really helps! And also best wishes for your application!

1. What is ETH physics?

ETH physics refers to the field of physics that is studied and researched at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich or ETH Zurich). It covers a wide range of topics including particle physics, solid state physics, astrophysics, and many others.

2. What are the main areas of research in ETH physics?

The main areas of research in ETH physics include particle physics, condensed matter physics, astrophysics, quantum optics, and biophysics. These areas cover a wide range of topics and have applications in various industries and fields.

3. How is ETH physics different from other physics programs?

ETH physics is known for its high-quality education and cutting-edge research. The program is highly interdisciplinary, with collaborations between different research groups and departments. Additionally, ETH physics has a strong emphasis on experimental research, with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment available for students and researchers.

4. What opportunities are available for students studying ETH physics?

Students studying ETH physics have access to a wide range of opportunities, including internships, research projects, and collaborations with industry partners. They also have the opportunity to participate in international exchange programs and attend conferences and workshops to further their knowledge and network with other professionals in the field.

5. What career paths can I pursue with a degree in ETH physics?

Graduates from ETH physics have a variety of career options available to them. They can pursue careers in research, teaching, and industry. Some of the industries that may be of interest to ETH physics graduates include technology, energy, healthcare, and finance. Additionally, many graduates go on to pursue further education and research opportunities in prestigious institutions around the world.