Some questions on energy of orbitals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ezio3.1415
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Orbitals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ezio3.1415
Messages
159
Reaction score
1
1. We know px,py,pz are degenerate orbitals... My question is suppose in
0=[He] 2s^2 2px^2 2py^1 2pz^1
Are the px,py,pz orbitals degenerate here?

2. What is the true reason of inert pair effect?

3. What is the order of shielding effect for s,p,d,f?I just want to verify my answers...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ezio3.1415 said:
1. We know px,py,pz are degenerate orbitals... My question is suppose in
0=[He] 2s^2 2px^2 2py^1 2pz^1
Are the px,py,pz orbitals degenerate here?

2. What is the true reason of inert pair effect?

3. What is the order of shielding effect for s,p,d,f?


I just want to verify my answers...

Please show your work and your answers.
 
1. the orbitals were degenerate... Now px is more stable,means less energy... so py and pz are degenerate...

2. I know about it... Was expecting an answer and justify whether the things I read are true...

3. s>p>d>f
my ques is why?