Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some tips for a better experience of stargazing using 76 mm telescope

1. Oct 21, 2015 #1
    I bought the celestron firstscope about 4 to 5 months ago.in the beginning I was pretty excited and enthusiastic but as time wore on,I found myself away from the scope.now I want to restart astronomy but I would like some tips to make it more fun and interesting so that my scope don't end up again in my closet.I have an interest in astronomy and would like to enhance it.what sorts of more things can I watch with the firstscope.thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there Ayush

Have you installed any of the sky map programs onto your computer yet ?
    One of the better and free ones is Stellarium. you can set up the default location to where you are in the world
    so that every time you start the program, it will show the sky from your location for that time of day and time of year

you can use it to see the location of deep space objects ... star clusters, nebulae, galaxies etc.
    Many will be beyond the reach of your small scope. But as the seasons and sky changes you will be able to log many of the brighter objects

#1 start an observing diary ... make notes for the objects you view every time you go out.
    this will give you a way of keeping track of what you have and haven't observed
    here's a sample out of my diary

2005Date Time (EST)
    Object Constell. Comments
    July 2005
    From Home
    03 1600

Sun Many spots visible clear umbral and penumbral regions visible

1830-1900

Jupiter 2 moons, 4 belts visible good viewing overhead
    Mercury low in West a bit fuzzy
    Venus low in West, bit fuzzy, looked gibbous phase
    Omega Cent Glob; Ex.Brt, clear easily resolved
    NGC6121/M4 Glob; Just resolvable
    NGC6475/M7 Op Cl;

2015-2100

NGC6405/M6 Op Cl;
    NGC6388 Glob; Mag6.7, Just resolvable, small, compact
    NGC6514/M20 Trifid Nebula; Fnt, just visible
    NGC6531/M21 Op Cl; Brt

--------------

Jan. 04 … got the CPC925 out to see if I could see Comet C/2012 K5 (LINEAR)
    I was out the nite before with binoculars and thought I had found it
    But using the scope tonite, I found I had been looking at M37 and or M36
    A couple of faint fuzzy open clusters that the binoculars couldn’t resolve
    into individual stars but the scope did.

After 2 hours of searching, I finally found it at the location it should be.
    This comet was definitely not visible in binoculars as had been reported. It was a very faint fuzzy blob in the scope with a 40mm eyepiece.
    Estimated magnitude at ~ 9.5 – 10.
    Jupiter also looked really good during this time

May 10 … Partial Solar eclipse. Viewed and Photo'ed from Thornleigh

Aug 16–20 Nova Delphini. The nova appeared with a magnitude 6.8 when it was discovered and peaked at magnitude 4.3 on 16 August.
    Viewed from home and from Bobbinhead Rd, jst N of Sydney. Photo’ed from Bobbinhead Rd,

Cheers
    Dave

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take advantage of the computer stuff then learn how to find things by 'hand', that should keep you amused for a year or so. Back when I bought my first scope [6" criterion] computer locating had not been invented for amateur scopes. It was all red flashlights, paper charts and setting circles. Yes, that was old school. I was really into variable stars which added more a sense of purpose than just gawking. Finding familiar patches of sky night after night and recording changes in star brightness was intoxicating.

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4
    Yeah I did the sky map in my phone.I'll try stellarium and the diary.thank you.it was a great help.

6. Oct 22, 2015 #5
    Yea,my scope also is not a Bluetooth supporting one and nor a computerised one.so I too do it manually.

7. Oct 22, 2015 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Manual locating is part of the fun.

8. Oct 22, 2015 #7
    Yeah it is.it gives me a satisfaction of finding something on my own which I can't get with a computerised one.

9. Oct 22, 2015 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What model is the scope? What have you seen? What eyepieces, barlows and other accessories are you using?

10. Oct 22, 2015 #9
    The model is firstscope.I hv seen moon and Jupiter and a star cluster which i don't know about.I don't use any accessories except the eyepieces which came with it.

11. Oct 27, 2015 #10
  12. Oct 27, 2015 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes but awkward to use outside at nite :wink:

programs that run on laptop, PC or smartphone eg Stellarium are the way to go these days
    as I suggested way back in post #2 :smile:

Dave

13. Oct 28, 2015 #12
    Ok,I will learn them.thank you.

14. Oct 29, 2015 #13
    You'll also need some kind of app to tell you which constellations are above your horizon tonight. In the old days, we used a planisphere... I still have one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planisphere

15. Oct 29, 2015 #14

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is what the mentioned Stellarium is for :)
    you should try

16. Oct 29, 2015 #15
    Yes,I tried stellarium. It is pretty amazing and helpful.sky map is a nice app too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook