Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone said they solved newtonian physics with string theory

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    someone said they solved newtonian physics with string theory
    Is that possible? in a test situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    How does one solve newtonian physics?

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And who said they did it?

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    By "solved", the OP may mean "encompasses". Any GUT certainly should.

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    well I was in a discussion about the state of education in developed countries, one person said, to sum it all up, australian schools suck because
    1. they're overly religious
    2. too strict (and I do mean strict)
    3. he was given F in a high school physics test because he used string theory to solve newtonian...
    Now when I heard that I just wanted to know 1. if thats possible and 2. why would someone do something like that

given the nature of high school school courses, his question was probably like...

whats the force acting on an object if .... bla bla bla...

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6
    When a problem can be solved with classical physics, you use classical physics. Otherwise, you're either wasting time, disrespecting the reader, showing off or having fun. In general, the most concise the better. Obviously, string theory isn't part of any high school curriculum.

8. Aug 30, 2010 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To solve a problem in Newtonian mechanics with string theory, you would have to show that string theory predicts spin-2 particles and that they make stuff move as described by general relativity, then explain how general relativity is related to special relativity, then explain how Galilean spacetime is related to the spacetime of special relativity, then explain how Newton's theory is just a specific way to introduce matter into Galilean spacetime, and then, finally, use F=ma to solve the problem. Seems like a long way to go when he could have started with F=ma. It's more than likely that he just made up some BS answer that had the word "string" in it, and then tried to blame his failure on the school.

9. Aug 30, 2010 #8
    I have very strong doubts that anybody attending a high school test would have enough knowledge of string theory to be credible in using it to solve a concrete problem. That being said, if the argument was general enough to skip the calculation, I would probably have given F even to a valid proof : the student would not have provided proof that he understood the course material, which is what the test is about. That is my feeling anyway, to really judge one should provide the details of the course, the test, and the answer.

10. Aug 30, 2010 #9
    Next time, if you could title the OP with this it would save us a lot of time in just not bothering to respond at all (even sarcastically &&|| patronizingly)

11. Aug 30, 2010 #10

Them illiterate Australian high-school teachers that don't know simple stuff like GUT and ST!

On second reading, it seems his statement had more to do with the physics of cocaine/marijuana than with string theory.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook