Something cool to make with magnets

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has six 1*2*0.5 rectangle neodymium magnets and is looking for suggestions on what to make with them. They mention wanting to make a machine that can move, but they don't have much experience. Another person suggests starting with a simple motor tutorial and also mentions a more advanced DC motor project from a children's project book. The original person thanks them for their suggestion and confirms that the book is called Ladybird - Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries.
TT0
Hello,

I have six 1*2*0.5 rectangle neodymium magnets. I don't know what to make with it so are there any suggestions? I want to make a machine or something that can move, however, I don't know much so any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have never made a simple motor, I'd start with one of those.

This is the easiest:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Simple-Motor/

If you google "magnets, bulb, and batteries" you'll find a pdf of a children's project book from the 1960's that has a more sophisticated and interesting DC motor anyone can build. It's more like a real DC motor in that it has brushes.

Likes TT0
Thank you for your suggestion zoobyshoe! It seems really cool. I will make the instructables motor soon. Is the children's project book called Ladybird - Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries? Thanks again!

TT0 said:
Thank you for your suggestion zoobyshoe! It seems really cool. I will make the instructables motor soon. Is the children's project book called Ladybird - Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries? Thanks again!
Yes, that's the book. Enjoy!

Likes TT0

1. What are some cool experiments I can do with magnets?

There are many fun experiments you can do with magnets. You can use them to create a magnetic maze, make a levitating toy, or even build your own electromagnet. You can also use magnets to make a compass or create magnetic slime!

2. Can I use magnets to make a simple motor?

Yes, you can use magnets to make a simple motor. This can be done by attaching two magnets to a battery and a wire, and then placing them in a specific way to create a spinning motion. There are many tutorials online that can guide you through this process.

3. How can I make a magnetic field visible?

To make a magnetic field visible, you can use iron filings. Simply sprinkle the iron filings onto a piece of paper and place a magnet underneath. The iron filings will align with the magnetic field lines, making the field visible.

4. What is the difference between a bar magnet and an electromagnet?

A bar magnet is a permanent magnet that has a north and south pole and produces a magnetic field. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by running an electric current through a wire wrapped around a magnetic core. It can be turned on and off, making it more versatile than a bar magnet.

5. Can magnets be dangerous?

Magnets can be dangerous if not handled properly. Strong magnets can pinch and even break skin if they snap together. They can also interfere with electronic devices, such as pacemakers. It is important to handle magnets carefully and keep them away from electronic devices and young children.