Something funny happened on the way to neutrality!

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Summary:

A thought experiment goes wrong!

Main Question or Discussion Point

I watched a “What Are We Eating?” video by Wolfe Pit about a cheap steak being real meat or just glued trimmings. My interest was in the glue itself since I have a professional interest in crosslinking proteins. Anyway, the narrator goes through the ingredient list and comes to sodium diacetate. I think, “Hoo boy! Some genius thinks that either sodium is divalent or that acetate has a formal charge of 1/2! That’s rich, isn’t it? People who manufacture our “food” don’t know simple chemistry! A bit scary.

But then I check just to make sure... I was wrong ONCE. OMG! Wrong again! It’s a real thing! There really is such a thing as sodium diacetate. It forms a solid with a reproducible molecular formula. Has its very own entry in the Merck Index (8555 in the 11thEd). So if I take acetic acid and titrate it to half way to the endpoint, I make a new compound?

Yeah, at least once its dried to a powder.

Answers and Replies

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
CAS[126-96-5]

What’s next? If that’s true, then shouldn’t calcium diacetate be able to precipitate as the triacetate?

World. Rocked.

Calcium triacetate, CAS[66905-25-7]

Borek
Mentor
Yep, it is used in dry salad dressing mixes.

Haven't seen triacetate though.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, I too have heard of sodium diacetate, but forgot exactly what it is. It is also found in some seasonings. I believe some mixture or combination of sodium acetate and acetic acid. I don't remember. Try look it up.

See if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_diacetate

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I assume its a compound like a hydrate. Start with sodium acetate and add a molecule of acetic acid.

Borek
Mentor
My approach was that it is just an interesting crystalline form of the mixture, where each sodium acetate is accompanied by an acetic acid molecule.

In a way similar to basic or mixed salts (alum type), where things that are otherwise independent (and can be separated) crystallize together in a stoichiometric ratio.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
And potassium diacetate CAS [4251-29-0]