Something majorly wrong with this paper?

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: There are two sources of imaginary angles: 1) the Zi' formula on page 3 can be rewritten by taking out the common factor of [Cos(delta) + Z(z1',delta)]/2. The other term is then 1+Cos[(2i-1)etc..] which can only vary from 0 to 2. Zi'(z1',delta) can take a maximal value of 1 and it turns out that by using typical values that it is very close to 1 typically. So in total Zi' varies from 0 to 2. The second big
natski
As some may have noticed, I have already mentioned that this paper doesn't really seem to be very clear but now I believe its mathematical basis is fundamentally flawed. I believe this a model used by the US Navy and cited many times in recent years so I'm assuming that I must be wrong on this, however it's such a simple thing to prove that it doesn't work...

THE PAPER IN QUESTION:

http://www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/td1703/thomas.pdf

The problem arises from the fact this model calculates imaginery angles, which is completely unphysical. There are two sources of imaginery components:

1)

Zi' formula on page 3 can be rewritten by taking out the common factor of [Cos(delta) + Z(z1',delta)]/2.

The other term is then 1+Cos[(2i-1)etc..] which can only vary from 0 to 2.
Z(z1',delta) can take a maximal value of 1 and it turns out that by using typical values that it is very close to 1 typically.

So in total Zi' varies from 0 to 2.

Now, in the expression for f, we have one term that is written as (1-(Zi'^2))^(0.5), so this obviously can be imaginery. Not only can it be imaginery, it must be for low i.

2) The second big problem lies in the numerator of f...

Zi' varies from 0 to 2. But Z(z1',delta) is a fixed value close to 1.

Consider i is high => Zi' is low and hence the bracket becomes negative.

The second bracket is the numerator cannot save the day since if Zi' is low for say delta=0, then we still have a positive number here and hence the numerator will be imaginery overall.

The first bracket in the numerator term inside the square root can also be imaginery.

The only get out clause to both of these problems would be hoping that the summation would result in the imaginery terms cancelling out, but I have observed this not to happen, unsurprisingly.

So I believe this paper's model is fundamentally flawed and I am somewhat annoyed if these are indeed genuine errors. Have I missed something or do others agree?

Natski

P.S. I have attached a mathematica notebook with my workings. They aren't really necessary to understand the problem here. I have changed some of the variables' symbols to make life easier.

Attachments

• attempt2.nb
    33 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can remove [Cos(delta) + Z(z1',delta)]/2 from the Zi' formula given on page 3 [p 281]:

Zi'(z1',delta) = [Cos(delta) + Z(z1',delta)]/2 + [Cos(delta) - Z(z1',delta)]/2 x cos[(2i-1)pi/400]

Ah you don't know how grateful I am for someone spotting that. My paper copy has that sign faded and I thought it was a +. I have retried the formula and am now getting real values again so many thanks Chronos.

Natski

What are some common errors to look out for in a scientific paper?

Some common errors to look out for in a scientific paper include incorrect or inconsistent data, biased or incomplete analysis, plagiarism, and incorrect citations.

How can I identify potential flaws in a scientific paper?

Some ways to identify potential flaws in a scientific paper include critically evaluating the methodology, checking for logical inconsistencies, and cross-checking data with other sources.

What should I do if I find a major error in a scientific paper?

If you find a major error in a scientific paper, you should first document the error and then contact the author or the editor of the journal where the paper is published. They may conduct a review and make corrections if necessary.

Is it common for scientific papers to have errors?

While scientific papers go through a rigorous peer-review process, it is not uncommon for them to have minor errors. However, major errors are less common and should be addressed promptly.

How can I ensure the accuracy of a scientific paper?

To ensure the accuracy of a scientific paper, you can carefully evaluate the data and methodology, check for any potential biases, and verify the results with other sources. You can also seek the opinion of other experts in the field.