Something to hold a heavy lid open? Lid stay?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
In summary: Tape is great for smaller openings, but not for something this large.In summary, the poster is looking for a way to keep a coffin-sized lid open so that they can access the contents. They are considering a strap, a counterweight, and a piece of tape.
rwooduk
Perhaps someone here might be able to give me a few ideas. We have a large box, at least 6ft by 3ft by 4ft, about coffin size. I need to be able to hold the heavy lid open above the level of the top of the box.

I have been looking at lid stays BUT the thing that supports the lid cannot be inside the box, or attach underneath the lid. It MUST attach to the outside of the box, and edge of the lid so it doesn't obstruct tight closure of the lid to the box. (its a dark box)

I have no idea what something like this would be called. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

tnOykvM.jpg

I3gsUKd.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
So the opening is to the side as shown, right? Can you just lay the lid back onto the top of the box? Or does the hinge not go that far?

How about just a strap that attaches to the top/back of the box and you connect that to the lid after you have lifted it to the open angle? If the lid is heavy, use a couple of straps...?

EDIT/ADD -- You could even use a tie-down strap to go between a couple of eye hooks (one on the back top and one on the lid exterior), and that would let you adjust the angle of the lid by adjusting the length of the tie-down...

Likes Fervent Freyja and rwooduk
Pneumatic spring, AKA gas spring, gas strut.
Also Lid Stay.
Google shows many of each.

Likes rwooduk
Counter weights?...

Note the arms are cranked for two reasons. First to keep some pressure on the door when closed and secondly to allow the door to open slightly beyond the horizontal.

Box.jpg

Likes rwooduk and Tom.G
Awesome, many thanks for the ideas guys! The straps and the counterweights are something I hadn't considered and I think will work. Will give them a try, many thanks!

And yes, unfortunately the hinges do not allow the lid to come right the way over.

Goolgle "Chest hardware"

One provider is Lee Valley Tools. They have one system that is entire inside the box, but I don't know if it's sturdy enough for your use -- the intent is to keep trunk lids from slamming down on fingers and heads, so they are built for not much more than balance forces. Still may give you an idea.

There is a new trend in kitchen cupboards with lids like you describe. They are spring loaded, but again, designed for a much smaller door.

berkeman said:
So the opening is to the side as shown, right? Can you just lay the lid back onto the top of the box? Or does the hinge not go that far?

How about just a strap that attaches to the top/back of the box and you connect that to the lid after you have lifted it to the open angle? If the lid is heavy, use a couple of straps...?

EDIT/ADD -- You could even use a tie-down strap to go between a couple of eye hooks (one on the back top and one on the lid exterior), and that would let you adjust the angle of the lid by adjusting the length of the tie-down...
How about a piece of tape

The problem with tape or strap is that it then takes two actions: Open the lid, fasten the securing device. I think the poster wants something more automatic than that.

I question whether any common tape would be sufficient for a coffin sized horizontal hinged door opening upward.

1. What is a lid stay and how does it work?

A lid stay is a type of mechanism that is designed to hold a heavy lid open at a desired angle. It typically consists of two parts: a bracket that attaches to the lid, and a rod that extends from the bracket and attaches to the surface below the lid. The rod can be adjusted to different lengths to achieve the desired angle for the lid to stay open.

2. What types of lids can a lid stay hold open?

A lid stay can hold open a variety of lids, including hinged lids, flip-top lids, and trunk lids. As long as the lid has a surface for the bracket to attach to and enough weight to require support, a lid stay should work effectively.

3. How much weight can a lid stay hold?

The weight capacity of a lid stay can vary depending on the specific model and brand. However, most lid stays are designed to hold up to 20-30 pounds of weight. It is important to check the weight capacity of a lid stay before using it to ensure it can safely hold the specific lid you are using.

4. Are there different types of lid stays available?

Yes, there are various types of lid stays available, including friction lid stays, spring lid stays, and soft-close lid stays. Each type has its own unique features and advantages, so it is important to consider the specific needs and preferences of your lid before choosing a lid stay.

5. How do I install a lid stay?

The installation process for a lid stay may vary slightly depending on the brand and model. However, most lid stays come with detailed instructions and all the necessary hardware for installation. Generally, you will need to attach the bracket to the lid and the rod to the surface below the lid, making sure to secure them tightly. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and ensure the lid stay is properly installed for safe and effective use.