Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something to hold a heavy lid open? Lid stay?

1. Aug 4, 2017 #1
    Perhaps someone here might be able to give me a few ideas. We have a large box, at least 6ft by 3ft by 4ft, about coffin size. I need to be able to hold the heavy lid open above the level of the top of the box.

I have been looking at lid stays BUT the thing that supports the lid cannot be inside the box, or attach underneath the lid. It MUST attach to the outside of the box, and edge of the lid so it doesn't obstruct tight closure of the lid to the box. (its a dark box)

I have no idea what something like this would be called. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

tnOykvM.jpg

I3gsUKd.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So the opening is to the side as shown, right? Can you just lay the lid back onto the top of the box? Or does the hinge not go that far?

How about just a strap that attaches to the top/back of the box and you connect that to the lid after you have lifted it to the open angle? If the lid is heavy, use a couple of straps...?

EDIT/ADD -- You could even use a tie-down strap to go between a couple of eye hooks (one on the back top and one on the lid exterior), and that would let you adjust the angle of the lid by adjusting the length of the tie-down...

4. Aug 4, 2017 #3
    Pneumatic spring, AKA gas spring, gas strut.
    Also Lid Stay.
    Google shows many of each.

5. Aug 5, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Counter weights?...

Note the arms are cranked for two reasons. First to keep some pressure on the door when closed and secondly to allow the door to open slightly beyond the horizontal.

Box.jpg

6. Aug 8, 2017 #5
    Awesome, many thanks for the ideas guys! The straps and the counterweights are something I hadn't considered and I think will work. Will give them a try, many thanks!

And yes, unfortunately the hinges do not allow the lid to come right the way over.

7. Aug 16, 2017 #6
    Goolgle "Chest hardware"

One provider is Lee Valley Tools. They have one system that is entire inside the box, but I don't know if it's sturdy enough for your use -- the intent is to keep trunk lids from slamming down on fingers and heads, so they are built for not much more than balance forces. Still may give you an idea.

There is a new trend in kitchen cupboards with lids like you describe. They are spring loaded, but again, designed for a much smaller door.

8. Aug 16, 2017 #7
    How about a piece of tape

9. Aug 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM #8
    The problem with tape or strap is that it then takes two actions: Open the lid, fasten the securing device. I think the poster wants something more automatic than that.

I question whether any common tape would be sufficient for a coffin sized horizontal hinged door opening upward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted