Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something Touched on in Another Thread

1. Dec 27, 2005 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The thread was locked down before I could post in it. Amongst QT's temper tantrums a sideline was talking about Aaron Copland...

I have to side with Jelfish and say that you guys that are "lernt" in classical music are not so "lernt" if you think Aaron Copland stinks. Take it back right now. I may have a tantrum myself.

Appalachian Spring (one of my all time favorites), Rodeo (the beef commercials' theme music), Lincoln Portrait (with Gregory Peck narrorating), Fanfare for the Common Man,...He is one of the most famous American composers you dolts.

There. I said it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah. Very easy to listen to. Perfect for commercials.

:devil: bait:devil: bait:devil:bait :devil:

4. Dec 27, 2005 #3
    Your bait's not good enough! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :biggrin:

5. Dec 27, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Rodeo suite is awesome!

6. Dec 27, 2005 #5
    I suppose its good...........if you lack taste... you want a good american composer, then pick gershwin for gods sake. Chi sums it up best, leave it for the dogs... I mean commercials...

7. Dec 27, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Sounds like fred is going to make you all food for that machine of his in his avatar:rolleyes:

8. Dec 27, 2005 #7
    hah They're not even in the same genre! That's like saying "Wagner sucks - if you want real to listen to a real German composer, pick up Bach."

I think you, dear cyrus, lack taste.

9. Dec 27, 2005 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought it was Aaron Copeland. :confused:

And yes, he is very good.

10. Dec 27, 2005 #9
    I dislike Copeland.

11. Dec 27, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Rap is the only true music in this world.

12. Dec 27, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

If that's a response to my post, I was referring to ELP's 'Trilogy' album, which features electronic arrangements of Copeland's music. Check it out.

13. Dec 27, 2005 #12
    Aaron Copland is the composer. Kenneth Copeland is a televangelist. There's also a Copeland coorporation, which makes air conditioners.

14. Dec 27, 2005 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Some people's kids....

15. Dec 27, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I concur with Fred - I love Copland's music, especially "Appalacian Spring" and "Fanfare for the Common Man", and I concur with Danger, EL&P did a great adaptation of 'Rodeo', as well as "Fanfare for the Common Man".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  16. Dec 27, 2005 #15
    I dislike Aaron Copland's music.

17. Dec 27, 2005 #16
    Why do you all insist on mispelling his name? If this is a joke I'm not getting it. :confused:

edit: I wasn't referring to zoob.

18. Dec 27, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

We just wanted to see if you'd notice. There were some bets going on backstage through PM's. :biggrin:

19. Dec 27, 2005 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like Copland. It was amazing to see that Stallone can actually act.

Edit:

Oh, Copeland! He was a great drummer. I wonder if he talks with Sting anymore?

20. Dec 27, 2005 #19
    Aahahaha, im listening to fanfair right now. In the back of my mind, I can picture a lumberjack saying, "I like to be tough....and nothing is tougher than dougs smoked sauages............." ahahahha............. (It would be good if every damn commercial did not slap this music on it and pass off their crap as a 'good commercial'). This is more like made for tv movie, sound track kind of stuff.....its no mozart, no bach.........you get my point.....its nothing special .

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  21. Dec 27, 2005 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I played trumpet in high school and one year for marching band (yes, I was one of "them") we did an American theme - which, of course, was heavily weighted toward Copeland: Appalachian Spring and Rodeo. But Fanfare for the Common Man (short as it is...) is just awesome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?