Sound intensity ratio for two car horns 8m and unknown distance away

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jvirus872000
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



When sounded separately, two identical car horns produce sound intensities at your ear in the ratio 6:1. If the nearer car is 8m from you, how far from you is the more distant car? Assume uniform spherical wavefronts.


Homework Equations


Intensity=P/4x(3.14)"pi"x R^2
ratio fartest car=(ratio nearest car+ratio that i am)^1/2<<"squareroot"


The Attempt at a Solution


All I did was the surface area for the sphere, which was
4x3.14x8^2= 1607.7
Then i do not know what else to do because i need to find the length, I know the answer should be 19.6
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I ∝ 1/r²

So the ratio of I1/I2 = R2² /R1²

That suggests then that

6/1 = R²/8² then isn't it?