What Is the Sound Intensity Ratio Between a Rock Concert and a Jazz Fest?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 21K views
tbontom
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Sound Intensity Level Ratio

Homework Statement



The sound intensity level at a rock concert is 110 dB, while that at a jazz fest is 100 dB. Determine the ratio of the sound intensity at the rock concert to that at the jazz fest.


Homework Equations


B=(10dB) log(I/Io)

The Attempt at a Solution



110=(10db) log (I/1.0*10^-12)
100=(10db) log (I/1.0*10^-12)

dont know where to go from here
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, well let I_0=10^-12, then you have two expressions (taking log base 10)

[tex]110=10\log\left(\frac{I_1}{I_0}\right) \hskip1cm 100=10\log\left(\frac{I_2}{I_0}\right)[/tex] and you want to find the ratio [tex]\frac{I_1}{I_2}[/tex]. So, you need to perform some algebra on these expressions to make I_1 and I_2 the subject of the equations, respectively. Try dividing both sides of each equation by 10. After that you will need to take the inverse log of each side: how would you do this?
 
That was my problem, I forgot you could do antilogs. thanks you so much
 
tbontom said:
That was my problem, I forgot you could do antilogs. thanks you so much

No problem!