Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources on explicitly time-dependent Hamiltonian formalism

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    Not sure I am posting this in the right subforum, if this is not the case, please feel free to move it.

Anyway, the title about sums it up - I need to find a good source which offers a thourough treatment of Hamiltonian formalism for the explicitly time-dependent case - could someone possibly suggest some?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    I haven't personally read this book, but it looks like it could be useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Geometric-Formulation-Classical-Quantum-Mechanics/dp/9814313726/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339477934&sr=1-3&keywords=non+autonomous+mechanics

I found it surprisingly difficult to locate simple texts covering this topic! It might help to search for the phrases non-autonomous mechanics or non-autonomous dynamical systems as well. There's also a big literature on ODEs under the name control theory which might be relevant.

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the post - This book, however, has "fiber bundles over R" as 1.1, not somewhat of a higher reach, then?

Also, theory of optimal control is, I think, supposed to be an extension of Hamiltonian formalism, I think I would be happy with a "non-extended" book for the time being.

Since Herbert Goldstein's book is considered to be a classic one in the field, and I haven't had a look at it, would anyone know if it treats the topics in any detail?

Thanks again.

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4
    Noone, then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook