1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources on explicitly time-dependent Hamiltonian formalism

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    Not sure I am posting this in the right subforum, if this is not the case, please feel free to move it.

Anyway, the title about sums it up - I need to find a good source which offers a thourough treatment of Hamiltonian formalism for the explicitly time-dependent case - could someone possibly suggest some?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    I haven't personally read this book, but it looks like it could be useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Geometric-Formulation-Classical-Quantum-Mechanics/dp/9814313726/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339477934&sr=1-3&keywords=non+autonomous+mechanics

I found it surprisingly difficult to locate simple texts covering this topic! It might help to search for the phrases non-autonomous mechanics or non-autonomous dynamical systems as well. There's also a big literature on ODEs under the name control theory which might be relevant.

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the post - This book, however, has "fiber bundles over R" as 1.1, not somewhat of a higher reach, then?

Also, theory of optimal control is, I think, supposed to be an extension of Hamiltonian formalism, I think I would be happy with a "non-extended" book for the time being.

Since Herbert Goldstein's book is considered to be a classic one in the field, and I haven't had a look at it, would anyone know if it treats the topics in any detail?

Thanks again.

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4
    Noone, then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook