1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources to figure out what schools are good for certain subj

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    I am cc student pursuing a degree in mathematics. I will have at least a 3.5 gpa when I am ready to transfer. My school counselors are not the most caring and informative individuals. I tried a google search, but it seems I do not know how to do research by using a search engine or I do not know where to locate informstion.
    I have all A.s in my math courses with one B in calculus. My B's aare coming from English classes, a programming class. In other words non stem classes.

I am in california and do not mind going to a university in another state if it has a good program and is reasonable. My letter of recommendation s are good. I have access to a professor who worked for nasa for 30 years. A teacher who has done a lot of research and worked 10 yrs at Princeton. Also a recipient of a fields medal.

I do not have any amazing extracurricular activities, besides being in a stem club for minorities and working as a tutor on campus.

My first choice is ucla/Berkeley. I wouldn't mind also going to a cal state (cal poly). Can anyone point me to a list of school programs for pure math and what they can offer students?

Is it unlikely to not get into ucla or Berkeley with a 3.5 gpa? All of the igetc courses will be completed upon transfer. I am also taking the 3 physics sequence for scientists and engineers, instead of 1 physics and 2 other life sciences. Not sure if this choice helps. My teachers recommended I do so.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2
    Forgot to mention what other cal states are good for mathematics or Ucs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook