Sources to figure out what schools are good for certain subj

In summary, the speaker is a CC student in California pursuing a degree in mathematics and aiming for a 3.5 GPA. They have encountered unhelpful school counselors and had difficulty with research. Their grades in math courses are excellent, but they have received B's in non-STEM classes. They are open to attending a university in another state if it has a good program. They have strong letters of recommendation from a NASA employee, a research-focused teacher, and a recipient of a prestigious math award. Their extracurricular activities include being in a STEM club and working as a tutor. Their top choices are UCLA and UC Berkeley, but they are also considering Cal Poly. They are seeking a list of schools with strong pure math programs
MidgetDwarf
I am cc student pursuing a degree in mathematics. I will have at least a 3.5 gpa when I am ready to transfer. My school counselors are not the most caring and informative individuals. I tried a google search, but it seems I do not know how to do research by using a search engine or I do not know where to locate informstion.
I have all A.s in my math courses with one B in calculus. My B's aare coming from English classes, a programming class. In other words non stem classes.

I am in california and do not mind going to a university in another state if it has a good program and is reasonable. My letter of recommendation s are good. I have access to a professor who worked for NASA for 30 years. A teacher who has done a lot of research and worked 10 yrs at Princeton. Also a recipient of a fields medal.

I do not have any amazing extracurricular activities, besides being in a stem club for minorities and working as a tutor on campus.

My first choice is ucla/Berkeley. I wouldn't mind also going to a cal state (cal poly). Can anyone point me to a list of school programs for pure math and what they can offer students?

Is it unlikely to not get into ucla or Berkeley with a 3.5 gpa? All of the igetc courses will be completed upon transfer. I am also taking the 3 physics sequence for scientists and engineers, instead of 1 physics and 2 other life sciences. Not sure if this choice helps. My teachers recommended I do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention what other cal states are good for mathematics or Ucs.

1. What are reliable sources to figure out what schools are good for certain subjects?

Some reliable sources to figure out what schools are good for certain subjects include college ranking websites such as U.S. News & World Report, Niche, and College Board. These websites use data from various sources, such as student reviews, graduation rates, and faculty credentials, to provide comprehensive rankings and information about schools' academic programs.

2. How can I find specific information about a school's programs and curriculum?

You can visit the official website of the school you are interested in and navigate to the academic department or program page. Here, you can find detailed information about the courses offered, curriculum structure, and faculty members. You can also reach out to the admissions office or department directly for any specific questions.

3. Are there any resources that provide insights from current or former students about a school's academic programs?

Yes, websites such as College Confidential and Reddit have forums where current and former students discuss their experiences with specific schools and programs. These can provide valuable insights and perspectives on a school's academic offerings.

4. How can I determine if a school's academic program aligns with my career goals?

You can research the types of jobs and industries that graduates from the school's program have gone into. You can also look at the curriculum and course offerings to see if they align with your interests and career goals. Additionally, you can reach out to alumni and ask about their career paths and how the school helped prepare them.

5. Are there any government or non-profit organizations that provide information about schools and their academic programs?

Yes, organizations such as the National Center for Education Statistics and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation provide data and information about schools and their academic programs. This information can include graduation rates, retention rates, and accreditation status, which can be helpful in evaluating a school's academic quality.