1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Southernly Deflection of a Falling Mass

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    Ok...I've struggled with this.

Let's say I'm dropping a mass from height h from the earth's surface. Since I'm considering this as a non-inertial reference frame, I understand that there is an easternly deflection. I've done the calculation and end up with de=(1/3)(w)cos(lamda)((8h^2)/g)^(1/2) where omega is the rate of rotation of the earth and lamda is the degree latitude.

Problem. "Repeat the calculation to second order in omega and find the southernly deflection." The easternly deflection I'm good with. I don't understand how there is any southern deflection. The calculation and explination is eluding me at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Christastic,

Here is a hint: to first order in omega, you have a small velocity to the east. Calculate the Coriolis force due to this velocity. What is its direction?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  4. Dec 13, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the hint. Will jump on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?