1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Engineering, Which Degree?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Hi all, I'm a high school student, and I want to become an engineer working for the space industry, or program. I'm living in New Zealand, with UK citizenship, so most likely this means me working in Europe. But, I'm going to do my undergraduate studies here in NZ.

I have three paths, BE in Mechanical Engineering, BE in Mechatronics, and BTech in Optoelectronics. The BTech degree combines half physics (concentrating on electronics and particle physics)courses, and half electrical engineering courses.

The BTech would be the one I most wish to pursue, as I really want to study physics, despite wanting to become an engineer. So getting both put into the same degree really attracted me. But, it's not a full on engineering degree, so I couldn't register to become an engineer. Would this matter for the space industry?

If it turns out to be better going along with BE, I've looked at most job descriptions, and they all say 'mechanical'. But a lot also require experience with software, so mechatronics seems like a good solution. It also appeals a lot more to me to study (you get to work on robots, instead of washing machines etc...), but it's not really as recognized as a degree as mechanical.

Also, the masters I want to study is: http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/postgraduatestudy/astronautics/index.jsp

Which says you don't need an engineering degree specifically. Employment rates from that course are huge as well (96% within 6 months apparently). So maybe a BTech would be an acceptable idea anyway?

I'm a bit lost, and don't have much time left until I have to apply for university. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    Application is open to students who have completed at least three years of undergraduate education in an engineering discipline or in an applied science. The disciplines studied are within the broad areas of structures and mechanics; fluid dynamics, thermal fluid sciences and aerodynamics; air-breathing and rocket propulsion; flight dynamics, orbital mechanics and control; aircraft and spacecraft systems and mission design. Instruction is delivered in English by an international team including academic staff from all of the five partner Universities. Additional lectures and seminars are provided by leading researchers, experts and industry managers from the European aerospace sector.

http://www.aerospacemasters.org

This is the same program but offers Double Masters. If you are undecided between Mechanical Engineer and Mechatronics, play it safe and just do Mechanical Engineer and go from there.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the information on that degree! That looks awesome, I'm really going to look into that. Still 4 years to decide (the BE in Honours, so 4 years).

And I did kind of get that feeling, that I should stick to basics. Although, it does say 'or an in applied science' afterward. BTech counts as that, although offers electrical engineering, rather than mechanical. I wish there was a physics/mech engineering degree!

Any other opinions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?