Space station orbit gravity help

In summary: No problem, we all make mistakes sometimes! Glad you caught it and corrected it. :smile:In summary, a space station is located in orbit between the Earth and the moon, experiencing equal forces of gravity from both bodies. By equating the force equations, the distance between the station and the moon is found to be 11.04% of the distance between the station and the Earth. The total distance between the Earth and the moon is 3.844 x 10^8 m, allowing for the calculation of the individual distances of 3.48 x 10^8 m from the Earth and 3.64 x 10^7 m from the moon for the space station.
pinkyjoshi65
A space station is in orbit between the Earth and the moon. The force due to gravity on the space station from the moon is the same as the force due to gravity from the earth. How far away from the Earth is the speace station? How far from the moon is the space station?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the question?

i tried doing the question, but got stuck in it. I found F_gm and F_ge. Then i equated them. i ended up with r/R=0.11045, where r=dist. between the satelite and the moon, and R=dist. between the satellite and earth.

pinkyjoshi65 said:
i tried doing the question, but got stuck in it. I found F_gm and F_ge. Then i equated them. i ended up with r/R=0.11045, where r=dist. between the satelite and the moon, and R=dist. between the satellite and earth.

Good so far. Now use the distance between the Earth and the moon and set this equal to r + R... look up the distance between the Earth and the moon.

so by doing that, i got the R=346168670.4m and r=38234329.6m

pinkyjoshi65 said:
so by doing that, i got the R=346168670.4m and r=38234329.6m

Looks good to me.

i had another question: Mars has 54% the mass of the Earth and a radius 11% of the earth. what is g on mars? what i did for this was
M_m=0.54M_E, R_m=0.11M_E
g=GM_m/R_m^2
g=G*0.54M_E/0.11R_E
g=(6.67*〖10〗^(-11)*0.54*6* 〖10〗^24)/(〖0.11*6.37*〖10〗^6)〗^2
g=21.61*〖10〗^13/0.49*〖10〗^12
g=44.102*10= 441.02m/sq sec
But when i searched the net for the g on mars..i found out tht the g is 3.77m/sq. sec

You must have mixed the radius and mass of mars. Mars has 11% of Earth's mass, and 54% of Earth radius.

You should have looked up that too =)

Incedently, you can work this one out without looking up any values. You know that g is proportional to m and inversely proportional to the square of r, hence you can write;

[tex]g_m = \frac{0.11}{0.54^2}\cdot g_e[/tex]

Last edited:
so the question is wrong?

pinkyjoshi65 said:
so the question is wrong?
The question as written above in post #7 is incorrect. As malawi_glenn correctly states, the mass of Mars is approximately 11% of the Earth's and mars' radius is approximately 54% of the earth's.

pinkyjoshi65 said:
A space station is in orbit between the Earth and the moon. The force due to gravity on the space station from the moon is the same as the force due to gravity from the earth. How far away from the Earth is the speace station? How far from the moon is the space station?

Data I used:
Mass of Earth = 6.02 x 10^24 kg = Me
Mass of Moon = 7.34 x 10^22 kg = Mm
Let R = distance between Earth and station, r =distance between Moon and station

At equilibrium,

Force acting on station by Earth = Force acting on station by Moon
GMeM / R^2 = GMmM / r^2
r / R = sqrt (Mm / Me )
= 0.1104

And knowing R + r = distance between Earth and Moon = 3.844 x 10^9 m,
R = 3.367 x 10^9 m
r = 4.77 x 10^8 m

Station is closer to Moon than to Earth.

r+R is supposed to be equal to 3.84*10^8m. How did u get r+R =3.84*10^9m??

pinkyjoshi65 said:
r+R is supposed to be equal to 3.84*10^8m. How did u get r+R =3.84*10^9m??
The sources I have agree with 3.84*10^8m.

also i got r= 3.82*10^7m not 4.77*10^8m. Which one is right?

pinkyjoshi65 said:
also i got r= 3.82*10^7m not 4.77*10^8m. Which one is right?
Forgive me, but I'm not checking through the arithmetic; I'm assuming that if thiotimoline used an incorrect value, his/her final result will be incorrect.

Last edited:
Thanks..:)

pinkyjoshi65 said:
Thanks..:)
Pleasure :smile:

thiotimoline said:
Data I used:
Mass of Earth = 6.02 x 10^24 kg = Me
Mass of Moon = 7.34 x 10^22 kg = Mm
Let R = distance between Earth and station, r =distance between Moon and station

At equilibrium,

Force acting on station by Earth = Force acting on station by Moon
GMeM / R^2 = GMmM / r^2
r / R = sqrt (Mm / Me )
= 0.1104

And knowing R + r = distance between Earth and Moon = 3.844 x 10^8 m,
R = 3.48 x 10^8 m
r = 3.64 x 10^7 m

Station is closer to Moon than to Earth.

This is the correct ans, kindly ignore my previous post. I apologise for the mistake. :)

1. What is a space station?

A space station is a large spacecraft designed to support human life in outer space. It serves as a platform for scientific research, technology development, and international collaboration.

2. How does a space station stay in orbit?

A space station stays in orbit by continuously falling towards Earth while also moving forward at a high speed. This is known as freefall, and it is due to the balance between the station's forward velocity and the gravitational pull of Earth.

3. What is the role of gravity in a space station's orbit?

Gravity is the force that keeps a space station in orbit around Earth. It is responsible for the orbital motion of the station and ensures that it maintains a stable and predictable path around the planet.

4. How does gravity affect objects on a space station?

On a space station, gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the station. This creates a sensation of weightlessness for astronauts on board, as they are essentially in freefall around Earth.

5. Can gravity be manipulated in a space station's orbit?

Yes, gravity can be manipulated in a space station's orbit through the use of thrusters or other propulsion systems. This can be used to adjust the station's orbit or to maintain its position relative to other objects in space.