1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space-time interval Lorentz co/invariant

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys!
    I must show by brute force that ##\Delta s^2=-c^2\Delta t^2+\Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+\Delta z^2## is invariant under Lorentz transforms.

2. Relevant equations
    Lorentz transforms:
    ##\Delta t' = \gamma \left ( \Delta t -\frac{\vec v \cdot \Delta \vec x}{c^2} \right )## and ##\vec \Delta x'=\gamma (\Delta \vec x - \vec v t)##.
    I will use the convention ##\Delta \vec x= (\Delta x, \Delta y , \Delta z )## and ##\vec v = (v_x ,v_y, v_z)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I must show that ##\Delta s'^2=\Delta s^2##. Where ##\Delta s'^2=-c^2\Delta t'^2+\Delta x'^2+\Delta y'^2+ \Delta z'^2##.
    I have that ##\Delta x'^2+\Delta y' ^2+\Delta z'^2=\gamma ^2[\Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+\Delta z^2 +\Delta t^2 \underbrace{(v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2)}_{=\vec v^2}-2\Delta t (\Delta x v_x+\Delta yv_y +\Delta z v_z)]##
    While ##\Delta t'^2=\gamma ^2 \{ \Delta t^2-\frac{2\Delta t}{c^2}(v_x\Delta x+v_y\Delta y +v_z \Delta z)+\frac{1}{c^4}[v_x^2 \Delta x^2+v_y^2\Delta y^2+v_z^2 \Delta z^2+2(v_x\Delta xv_y\Delta y+ v_y\Delta y v_z\Delta z+v_x\Delta x v_z\Delta z)] \}##.
    So then I performed ##\Delta s'^2## and after all the simplifications I could do, I reached that ##\Delta s'^2=\gamma ^2 \left [ \Delta t^2 (\vec v^2-c^2) -\frac{\vec v \cdot \vec x}{c^2} +\Delta \vec x +\frac{2}{c^2} (v_x\Delta xv_y\Delta y+ v_y\Delta y v_z\Delta z+v_x\Delta x v_z\Delta z) \right ]## which does not seem equal to ##\Delta s##. I've redone the algebra 4 times (lost hours on this), I reach the same answer every time. So either the expression I found is right but I must simplify it even more and it indeed equals ##\Delta s##, or I'm wrong somewhere.
    I'd appreciate some help... thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a boost in an arbitrary direction, I think your expression for ##\Delta t'## is ok. But the correct expression for ##\vec \Delta x'## is more complex than what you wrote. See for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Boost_in_any_direction

Are you sure you can't orient your axes so that the x-axis is parallel to the boost?

4. Sep 2, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see, thank you very much.
    Due to the complexity of the expression for a boost in any direction, I guess I can orient the axes so that it results to be in the x-direction. I will consider this case only. :biggrin:

5. Sep 2, 2013 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

At first glance I get ##\Delta s'^2=\Delta t^2 (-c^2\gamma^2+v^2)+\gamma ^2 \left ( \Delta x^2+v^2 \Delta t^2 - \frac{v^2\Delta x^2}{c^2} \right )##.
    I guess I'll have to redo the math.
    Edit:Yeah I forgot 2 terms. I reach now ##\Delta s'^2=\Delta t^2[v^2+\gamma(v^2-c^2)]+\Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+\Delta z^2##. Almost the desired result but apperently I still have some job to do :)

Edit 2:This reduces to ##\Delta s'^2=\Delta t^2 (v^2-c^2)+\Delta \vec x##. I'm almost there. But I would reach the result only if v=0... which is not correct.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  6. Sep 2, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Everything multiplying ##\Delta t^2## should be proportional to ##\gamma^2##, so your expression in your first edit looks kinda odd.

7. Sep 2, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Trace back to see how you got the first term of ##v^2## in the first brackets. I don't think that should be there.

8. Sep 2, 2013 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I've tracked it down (already on my own), at ##\Delta x'=\gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t)##. When I must take the square of this quantity, there's a term ##\gamma ^2 v^2\Delta t^2##. I couldn't cancel this term out though I must re-recheck the algebra.

Edit: Nevermind, I made a mistake. I now reach the desired result! Thank you guys.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted