1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacings in contours? WHat does that mean?

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4584/unledjotq.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

For a) I just did F(0.4, 1) = 148.77, which was wrong...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't curve (a) pass through the origin?

What is f(0, 0) ?

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    150 - 0 = 150

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't stop there, continue on with solving the problem.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    i tried doing b) using my old method

f(0.4,0) = 150e^(0.4) = 224

Not right

I still don't understand the whole "5 spacing"

7. Sep 26, 2011 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks right to me, maybe just a rounding-off issue. You could always see if that contour crosses some other grid point, and calculate the function there.

I have no idea what that means, sorry.

EDIT: does "5 spacing" refer to something your professor said? Or was it in the portion of the problem statement that was cut off in your original post?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. Sep 26, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you ever used a "geodetic map"? Those are maps that show, in addition to highways and towns, hills, trails, etc. so are used by hiker, hunters, and the like. They are called geodetic maps because they also show "geodetic levels", lines of constant altitude. That is precisely what contour maps are: the lines show constant height of the three dimensional figure at two dimensional (x,y) points. Since the contour lines, like the geodetic lines, are shown at a constant interval of height, if two lines are close together, that means you have to go up that distance in a short horizontal distance. If two lines are farther apart you have to go up that distance in a longer horizontal distance. In other words, the closer contour lines are together the steeper the slope is there. On a geodesic map, lines that are far apart means a nice gentle slope, line that are very very close together means a cliff!

9. Sep 26, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That gives an a to b spacing of 74.

Also, try f(0.6, 0.8)

Pick a point or two for c & d. Then try to find a 'nice' number that can be used for equal spacing & which approximately works for the numbers you get for contours a, b, c, d.

10. Sep 26, 2011 #9
    f(0.6,0.8) doesn't touch anywhere

11. Sep 26, 2011 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

f(.6, .8) is on the contour labeled b.

12. Sep 26, 2011 #11
    Yeah I just saw that lol, I was looking at (0.4,0.8)

13. Sep 26, 2011 #12
    f(0.6,0.8) = 225 roughly...

14. Sep 26, 2011 #13
    Okay I managed to knock out b) and c) with 225 and 300 respectively. for d) I got 370...which is wrong.,

15. Sep 26, 2011 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that you've evaluated contours a and b, it looks like you have enough information to complete the problem.

However, I do wonder about the part of the problem statement you have omitted from your original post. I.e., "They are equally" is not a complete sentence.

16. Sep 26, 2011 #15
    omg it was cut off? It was "They are equally spaced multiples of 5"

omg

17. Sep 26, 2011 #16
    I just poisoned myself with this problem...

18. Sep 26, 2011 #17

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I asked about this as early as Post #6. At any rate, the key phrases are "equally spaced" and "multiples of 5".

The phrase "multiples of 5" indicates why your previous answers of 148.77 and 224 were obviously wrong, and what their values probably are without having to evaluate the function at additional points.

The phrase "evenly spaced" tells us why your answer of 370 is wrong, and what the correct answer should be for contour d.

Now that all the information you need has been spelled out, I shall close this thread and let you finish solving it. Please be more careful in posting problem statements in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook