What does this integral notation mean?

Different variables. The integral is over a region in ##\mathbb R^n##. Each ##dx_i## is a different dummy variable, much the same as ##\int \int f(x, y) dx dy##.In summary, the integral $$\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}f\, \mathrm{d}^n x$$ means integrating a function over a region in ##\mathbb{R}^n## with respect to different variables. Each ##dx_i## represents a different dummy variable, similar to the notation used for double integrals.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I saw it somewhere but I did't know exactly what it meant. Could someone explain it to me like I am 5? Does it mean we integrate with respect to x n times?
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}f\, \mathrm{d}^n x$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

I saw it somewhere but I did't know exactly what it meant. Could someone explain it to me like I am 5? Does it mean we integrate with respect to x twice?
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}f\, \mathrm{d}^n x$$
It means ##\int_\mathbb{R}\int_\mathbb{R}\ldots\int_\mathbb{R}f \,dx_1\,dx_2\ldots\,dx_n##

Likes Leo Liu
fresh_42 said:
It means ##\int_\mathbb{R}\int_\mathbb{R}\ldots\int_\mathbb{R}f \,dx_1\,dx_2\ldots\,dx_n##
Thanks. Just need some clarification -- do x-n s represent the same parameter or different variables?

Leo Liu said:
Thanks. Just need some clarification -- do x-n s represent the same parameter or different variables?
Different variables. The integral is over a region in ##\mathbb R^n##. Each ##dx_i## is a different dummy variable, much the same as ##\int \int f(x, y) dx dy##.

Likes Leo Liu

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What does the notation of an integral mean?

The notation of an integral is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function being integrated and dx represents the infinitesimal change in the independent variable x. This notation indicates that we are finding the area under the curve of the function f(x) with respect to the variable x.

3. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, we use a variety of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which means that we are finding the area under the curve between two specific points. In contrast, an indefinite integral has no limits of integration, and it represents a family of functions that differ by a constant value.

5. Why is the concept of integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to find the total quantity or amount of something, such as the total distance traveled, the total mass of an object, or the total energy consumed. It is also used to solve differential equations, which are fundamental in modeling and understanding many natural phenomena.