Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sparkling water and carbonic acid

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1
    I drink 2-3 sparkling waters a day (La Croix). I look at the nutrition back and it contains nothing but carbonated water and natural flavors. So I think it's completely harmless. Now I am learning this "carbonated water" may be more than I think. Apparently it contains carbonic acid which can be harmful to teeth. I think it's seriously misleading that they don't have to put carbonic acid on the label.

The Sad Truth About Seltzer
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...d-truth-about-seltzer/433947/?utm_source=SFFB

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2
    It should be fine, drinking it cold in away, CO2 stays as is and does not mingle with water to form Carbonic Acid. You could differentiate the taste of none chilled soda with cold ones. When it taste sour(when its hot-at ambient temp.), it may affect your teeth and worsen stomach acidity.

In Chemistry, rate of reaction depends on temperature. For CO2+H2O↔H2CO3, is endothermic reaction. The reverse process would be exothermic.

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

Here is a paper examining this:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=2D238FA5BFF6FC5DD642A245312BF5FF.f03t02
    They use flavored sparkling water with a ph of 3.0. This is closer to what soda would be which contains other acids.

This study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11556958
    shows that normal unflavored seltzer water has about 1% of the tooth eroding ability of soda.

This is less acidic than most of the foods that we eat on an everyday basis. It would be impossible to make plain carbonic acid at a ph of 3.0 in human drinkable conditions so I wouldn't worry about causing an acid stomach either.

Also the solubility of CO2 in water is greater at lower temperatures so any increased sour taste at warmer temperatures is likely due to the fact that materials at a warmer temperature have more flavor than at a colder temperature.

BoB

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4
    Soda's Coke etc. do not carry warning labels but are now considered significant health risks because of the sugar content. For whatever reason perhaps the inclusion of phosphoric or citric acids that are added, some Soda are estimated to be 100 times more corrosive to teeth than carbonated water.

You can find a list of beverages and their pH here.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5
    Thanks but, this topic is about sparkling water

7. Feb 5, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

H2O + CO2 = carbonated water = dilute carbonic acid

Are you saying it's misleading to use the less alarming name on the product label? Maybe, though it's probably better understood by most people.

And it certainly avoids any potential confusion with stinky carbolic acid!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook