Special Relativity and Kinematics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses three particles moving along the x-axis with different speeds, and the goal is to find the speed of the unknown particle C such that A and B will arrive at C's position at the same time. The equations used to solve the problem are provided, but there is difficulty in finding the speed of C. The solution involves solving the kinematics problem of when A overtakes B to determine the speed of C. This part does not involve relativity.
ToothandnaiL

Homework Statement

There are three particles along the x-axis ordered from back to front, A, C, B. A travels at 4/5c and B travels at 3/5c, the speed of particle C is unknown. What must the speed of particle C be such that A and B will arrive at C at the same time? And, at what speed will both the particles approach C?

Homework Equations

(1) Δ(t)= ([Δ(t)]'/[1- (v^2/c^2)])^(1/2) (for time dilation in each reference frame)

>> [itex]\gamma[/itex]= [1- (v^2/c^2)])^(1/2)

(2) u'=[(u-v)/(1- [uv/(c^2)]) (for speeds of particles relative to each other, u' is the modified speed of a relative moving object after special relativity is taken into account, u is the speed presented in the problem without reference to any other moving object or frame)

These are the two equations I have used to attempt this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the speed of particles A and B relative to each other using eq. 2. I split the problem into a reference frame for the A and B particles and a frame for the C particle. I use eq. 1 to account for time dilation and in turn speed differences among the particles. I think I have correctly calculated the speed of A and B to be approaching each other at 5/13 the speed of light. Other than that I have failed multiple times in trying to get the speed of C.
I've even gone as far as to assign a random length to the configuration of particles in order to have some concrete values to work with, although this shouldn't be necessary. If I know that both A and B are approaching C at 5/13c then I know there is a way to figure the speed of C. I think there is a kinematic aspect that I'm overlooking here. Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanked in advance.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are they all moving in the same direction? What are the initial locations of A, B, and C? Where do A and B meet? (All this can be done from the frame in which A, B, and C are moving at the given speeds.)

Doc Al said:
Are they all moving in the same direction? What are the initial locations of A, B, and C? Where do A and B meet? (All this can be done from the frame in which A, B, and C are moving at the given speeds.)

All the particles are moving in the positive x direction. C is in between A and B, with behind and B in front. A and B will arrive at C's position simultaneously.

ToothandnaiL said:
All the particles are moving in the positive x direction. C is in between A and B, with behind and B in front. A and B will arrive at C's position simultaneously.
How far apart are they when they start out?

A and B are equidistant from C, sorry I forgot to mention this in the previous post.

ToothandnaiL said:
A and B are equidistant from C, sorry I forgot to mention this in the previous post.
OK. To find the speed of C, here's what I would do. Just let L be the distance between A-C and C-B. Now just solve the kinematics problem of when will A overtake B? (Just solve it symbolically.) Then you can figure out the speed of C, since C has to meet B in that same time. This part has nothing really to do with relativity.

Ok, that makes the problem a lot more straight forward. Thanks for bearing with me and your insightful input.

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special Relativity is a more accurate and comprehensive theory than classical mechanics. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, while classical mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute and constant.

3. What is the equation for time dilation in Special Relativity?

The equation for time dilation in Special Relativity is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time observed by a moving observer, t is the time observed by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does Special Relativity affect our understanding of space and time?

Special Relativity shows that space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also introduces the concept of a unified space-time continuum, where space and time are interconnected and affected by the motion of objects.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in Special Relativity?

The speed of light, denoted as c, is a fundamental constant in Special Relativity and is the maximum possible speed in the universe. It acts as a universal speed limit and plays a crucial role in the time dilation and length contraction equations.