1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity, change in distance and time at slow speeds

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I was able to do pretty much every other problem dealing with this topic except this one which is bothering me. Here is the question:

The distance from New York to Los Angeles is about 5000 km and should take about 50 h in a car driving at 100 km/h. (a) How much shorter than 5000 km is the distance according to the car travelers? (b) How much less than 50 h do they age during the trip?

Can someone please give me a hint as to which equation I am looking for to solve this problem? Basically all equations with sqrt(1-(u^2/c^2)) are coming out completely wrong for me.

I am able to get to sqrt(1-(27.78^2/3x10^8)) but dont really know how to deal with subtracting such a small number. Obviously my calculator is throwing 1 at me which screws up the equation.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use the binomial expansion of (1 + x)^n (where x << 1) to estimate the change in distance: (1 + x)^n = 1 + nx + ...

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3
    I am still at a loss here. I found the expansion to be 1+x/2-(x^2)/8 which really does not help me much. With x = 8.57*10^-15, I am still getting what essentially is 1.

5. Sep 12, 2006 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have a scientific calculator function on your computer? (With Windows, it should be under "accessories".) I know that the one on my computer is capable of handling that many decimal places.

6. Sep 13, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that you are being asked for the change in length, not the length.

Try this:
    [tex]L = L_0 \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}= L_0 (1 - v^2/c^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

Thus, using a binomial expansion (for v^2/c^2 << 1) :
    [tex]L \approx L_0 (1 - (1/2)v^2/c^2)[/tex]

So:
    [tex]\Delta L \approx -(1/2) L_0 v^2/c^2[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?