Special Relativity philosophy and anxiety

In summary: But we are also philosophically naive and uneducated ;) (for a reason)And with that we will close the thread.
  • #1
TL;DR Summary
Does Special Relativity impact the philosophy of our interactions and therefore relationships?
Hello all you clever people,

I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me regarding special relativity and the none existence of time. At least in the sense that the block universe people believe.
So I'm writing as if the block universe is the correct interpretation

What does this mean for our relationships with other people? I know this might seem silly..
But if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively.

What does it mean for the conscious experience of my friend in my reference frame when compared to their own reference frame? Surely their experience does not exist for me in my frame!
... Does it in anyway change the dynamics of our relationships when compared with typical intuitive ideas of time.

It's hard to articulate what I'm trying to get at, it's all very new to me..
I also am pretty sure I'm over thinking if this was a true issue I'm sure there would be someone somewhere on the Internet talking about it (I've looked and there's not)

I hope you can give me some advice
 
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
EclogiteFacies said:
TL;DR Summary: Does Special Relativity impact the philosophy of our interactions and therefore relationships?

if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively
We fail to communicate effectively for a wide variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with relativistic effects or the block universe. We often fail to communicate effectively because we make incorrect assumptions. Those rarely have anything to do with relativity
 
  • Like
Likes jbriggs444, vanhees71, PeroK and 3 others
  • #3
You could try starting with answering yourself the obvious question - is there any evidence to support the suggestion that the block theory makes, that all the past and the current moment in time exist together. Is you can't find true evidence to support it's view (and not from a philospher but from an experiment) then you can drop your ideas and have nothing to worry about.
 
  • Like
Likes PeroK
  • #4
DrJohn said:
You could try starting with answering yourself the obvious question - is there any evidence to support the suggestion that the block theory makes, that all the past and the current moment in time exist together. Is you can't find true evidence to support it's view (and not from a philospher but from an experiment) then you can drop your ideas and have nothing to worry about.
Well I'm thinking under the assumption. Does it change our relationships. I'm interested in the philosophical impacts to aid in choosing a stance.
 
  • #5
EclogiteFacies said:
What does this mean for our relationships with other people? I know this might seem silly..
But if my reference frame disagrees with yours then surely this would mean we fail to communicate effectively.

What does it mean for the conscious experience of my friend in my reference frame when compared to their own reference frame? Surely their experience does not exist for me in my frame!
... Does it in anyway change the dynamics of our relationships when compared with typical intuitive ideas of time.
I think you're misreading what "disagree" means. All it means is that the answers are different when the inputs are different. That has nothing to do with human interactions. Most people have no difficulty coming to an agreement on conventions/references. Just a few minutes ago, for example, I accepted a meeting in a different time zone. We communicated and came to an agreement on when it should happen. I have full confidence the meeting will occur successfully even though our calendars say the meeting is at different times.
 
  • Like
Likes Dale and PeroK
  • #6
EclogiteFacies said:
I'm interested in the philosophical impacts
Then why are you asking this at PF? We explicitly do not allow philosophical discussions...
 
  • Like
Likes malawi_glenn and Vanadium 50
  • #7
berkeman said:
Then why are you asking this at PF? We explicitly do not allow philosophical discussions...
Well I find a lot of people on philosophy forums don't actually understand SR. You guys do you're clever physicists, engineers and mathematicians.

Hopefully I haven't been too annoying!
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters and PeroK
  • #8
EclogiteFacies said:
Does it change our relationships.
No, it does not. No human relationship in history has been altered because of relativistic effects.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes EclogiteFacies
  • #9
Dale said:
No, it does not. No human relationship in history has been altered because of relativistic effects.
But if we ever do send twin A on a round trip to Alpha Centauri with relativistic speeds while twin B stays at home, I bet twin B will begin to hate the younger one's guts. ;)
 
  • Haha
Likes FactChecker and berkeman
  • #10
EclogiteFacies said:
Well I find a lot of people on philosophy forums don't actually understand SR. You guys do you're clever physicists, engineers and mathematicians.
But we are also philosophically naive and uneducated ;) (for a reason)
 
  • Haha
Likes Demystifier
  • #11
And with that we will close the thread.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes EclogiteFacies and vanhees71

Similar threads

  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
21
Views
859
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
11
Views
898
  • Special and General Relativity
3
Replies
70
Views
3K
  • Special and General Relativity
2
Replies
54
Views
2K
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
16
Views
553
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
7
Views
787
  • Special and General Relativity
2
Replies
51
Views
2K
  • Special and General Relativity
2
Replies
57
Views
3K
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
15
Views
667
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
20
Views
707
Back
Top