Spectra of T and T* when T is a bounded linear operator

In summary, the question is asking about the relation between the spectra of a bounded linear operator on a Hilbert space and its adjoint. For finite rank operators, the spectra are equal, but for arbitrary operators in infinite dimensions, they are not related. However, for self-adjoint operators, the two spectra are equal. And for normal operators, the spectral radii are also equal.
pyf
Hi,

If T is a bounded linear operator on a Hilbert space, what can we say about the spectra of T and T* ([itex]\sigma(T)=\{\lambda:T-\lambda I[/itex] is not invertible})?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm asking because they are equal for finite rank operators and I hope the relation is equally nice in infinite dimensions. :)

They're not related for arbitrary operators in [itex] \infty [/itex]-dimensional HS. If T is self-adjoint, the 2 spectra are equal.

Is it true at least for normal operators that the spectral radii are the same?

@mathwonk: I am not sure whether your question is meant to help the topic starter in the right direction, but since there hasn't been an answer yet, I'll give one:

Yes, then they are the same. A general theorem says that for a normal element x in a C*-algebra, its spectral radius equals its norm. Since x and x* have the same norm, they have the same spectral radius.

1. What is a bounded linear operator?

A bounded linear operator is a type of function that maps from one vector space to another. It satisfies the properties of linearity and boundedness, meaning that it preserves linear combinations and has a finite limit as the input approaches infinity.

2. How is the spectrum of a bounded linear operator defined?

The spectrum of a bounded linear operator T is defined as the set of complex numbers λ for which the operator (T-λI) is not invertible, where I is the identity operator. In other words, it is the set of all eigenvalues of T.

3. What is the significance of the spectrum of a bounded linear operator?

The spectrum of a bounded linear operator provides important information about its behavior and properties. It can help determine if an operator is invertible, compact, or self-adjoint. It also plays a crucial role in the study of functional analysis and operator theory.

4. How is the spectrum of a bounded linear operator related to the eigenspectrum?

The spectrum of a bounded linear operator is a subset of the eigenspectrum, which includes all eigenvalues of the operator. However, the eigenspectrum may contain additional values that are not in the spectrum, such as complex conjugate pairs.

5. Can the spectrum of a bounded linear operator change?

Yes, the spectrum of a bounded linear operator can change if the underlying vector space or operator is altered. For example, adding or removing elements from the vector space or changing the operator's domain or range can result in a different spectrum. However, some properties of the spectrum, such as its size and location on the complex plane, may remain the same.