Spectroscopic linelist question

• Thread starter jl29488
  • Start date
In summary, the person is currently working on a project to compute a molecular linelist for a range of temperatures. They are curious as to why this needs to be done computationally instead of measuring the transitions in a lab. The reason for this is to verify the accuracy of the model and approximation used, as it is not possible to solve complex atoms and molecules exactly. The person is advised to consult with their supervisor for a better understanding of the project's purpose.
jl29488
Hi,

I'm currrently doing a project on computing a molecular linelist (set of transitions) for a range of temperatures. I'm wondering though why hey need to be computed.. i.e why can you not measure the transitions in a lab. My molecule I'm looking at is called PH. Why do I need to model the spectra of this molecule computationally instead of experimentally? Is it because of the number of transitions that are involved?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jl29488 said:
Hi,

I'm currrently doing a project on computing a molecular linelist (set of transitions) for a range of temperatures. I'm wondering though why hey need to be computed.. i.e why can you not measure the transitions in a lab. My molecule I'm looking at is called PH. Why do I need to model the spectra of this molecule computationally instead of experimentally? Is it because of the number of transitions that are involved?

Cheers

You need to back up a bit here. Why are you doing this project? Doesn't the project have an overall description and purpose? Have you asked the person who is supervising your work?

There are many different reasons to do such modelling. The most obvious would be to see if the physics that is used will produce results that matches experimental observation. If they do, then you know that the model is correct to some extent. This is one way we can verify the physics and approximation that we use.

Complex atoms and molecules can't be solved exactly. There are no exact, closed-formed solutions to atoms heavier than helium. So in many cases, we have to make approximations to model atoms and molecules, and we have to know how exact these are. So the only way we can do this is to produce a model, check the outcome, and then compare with experiment.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to get a general purpose and reason why you are doing something. And the person who is in charge of this should be the person who holds such answer.

Zz.

1. What is a spectroscopic linelist?

A spectroscopic linelist is a comprehensive catalog of the spectral lines (or wavelengths) associated with a particular substance or element. It is used to identify and analyze the chemical composition and physical properties of materials through the study of their spectral signatures.

2. How is a spectroscopic linelist created?

A spectroscopic linelist is typically created through spectroscopic analysis, where a substance is exposed to different wavelengths of light and the resulting absorption or emission patterns are recorded. This data is then compiled and organized into a linelist, which can be used for further analysis and comparison.

3. What is the importance of a spectroscopic linelist?

A spectroscopic linelist is important because it allows scientists to accurately identify and characterize the chemical composition of a substance. It is also used in a wide range of scientific fields, including astronomy, chemistry, and materials science, to study the physical and chemical properties of materials.

4. How is a spectroscopic linelist used in research?

In research, a spectroscopic linelist is used as a reference tool to identify the spectral lines of a substance and compare them to known standards. It is also used to study the behavior and interactions of different elements and molecules, and to make predictions about their properties and reactions.

5. Are spectroscopic linelists publicly available?

Yes, many spectroscopic linelists are publicly available and can be accessed through databases and online resources. However, some linelists may only be accessible to researchers through specialized institutions or organizations.