Spectroscopy Lab Conceptual Question

In summary: So, using a lower absorbance value would decrease the chance of artifacts in the spectrum, although it would also mean lower sensitivity.
jxs919
Can someone explain why an absorbance maxium is always used for an assay. What problems would occur if an absorbance minimum were used to get an Absorbance spectrum of a solution?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your analysis for this question with relevance to the reliability in the detection of the analyte as well as the reliability (precision) involved in the quantitative analysis?

hmmm I'm not sure what yu're askin but i think the reliability in the detection of the analysis would be based on taking the absorbance of the solution several times and then comparing the values to a referenced value... right ?

i just don't understand why we have to use a max absorbance value...
why can't we do the minimum value...

help me out some more here ..

By "minimum" absorbance value, I'm assuming that there is another absorbance peak which has the smallest of the intensities, right? And, does this pertain to UV-Vis spectroscopy?

Quantitative analysis, such as when constructing a beer's law based calibration plot, is done using the maximum absorbance value, in particular, because it works well with the wavelength peak that has a high absorptivity at that wavelength. For the latest uv-vis spectrometers you want the absorbance peak to be between 1.0 and 3.0 absorbance units, and the peak should be pretty broad, assuming that all peaks have an ideal shape, the one with the highest intensity will be more reliable. The position of the peaks can shift at times, with broader peaks, the corresponding change in the intensity value will be less dramatic.

ok yea i see what you mean now. awesome. thanks for your help.

jxs919 said:
Can someone explain why an absorbance maxium is always used for an assay. What problems would occur if an absorbance minimum were used to get an Absorbance spectrum of a solution?
You'd compromise the signal to noise ratio.

Yeah, and that too, although this can also be a problem with high absorbance intensities when scattering is involved.

1. What is spectroscopy and why is it important in scientific research?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It is important in scientific research because it allows us to identify and analyze the composition of materials, determine their physical properties, and study chemical reactions and processes.

2. What are the different types of spectroscopy and how do they differ?

The different types of spectroscopy include atomic absorption, infrared, ultraviolet-visible, nuclear magnetic resonance, and mass spectrometry. They differ in the type of electromagnetic radiation used, the properties of the sample being studied, and the information they provide.

3. How is spectroscopy used in environmental science?

Spectroscopy is used in environmental science to analyze air and water quality, identify pollutants, and monitor changes in the environment. It can also help in studying the effects of climate change and understanding the composition of different ecosystems.

4. What are some applications of spectroscopy in the medical field?

Spectroscopy has various applications in the medical field, such as diagnosing diseases through blood and tissue analysis, monitoring drug levels in patients, and studying the effectiveness of treatments. It can also aid in identifying biomarkers for diseases and in drug discovery and development.

5. How does spectroscopy help in studying the universe?

Spectroscopy is an important tool in studying the universe as it allows scientists to analyze the composition and properties of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. It can also provide information about the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as potential sources of extraterrestrial life.