Spectrum of ##(x_1,x_2,x_3, )\mapsto(0,x_1,2^{-1}x_2, )##

• Thread starter DavideGenoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the author is looking for the spectrum of the linear operator ##A\in\mathscr{L}(\ell_2,\ell_2)##, which he has verified to be compact and eigenvalueless. However, his book does not give examples of how to find the spectrum. Somebody help him find it. He sees that for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)=(A-\lambda I)(x_1,y_2,...)## in the image of ##A-\lambda I##, we can calculate ##(x_1,x_2,...)## observing that ##x_1=-\lambda^{-1}y_1## and ##
DavideGenoa
Dear friends, I would like to find the spectrum of the linear operator ##A\in\mathscr{L}(\ell_2,\ell_2)##, which I have verified to be compact and eigenvalueless, defined by

##A(x_1,x_2,x_3,...,x_n,...)=(0,x_1,\frac{1}{2}x_2,...,\frac{1}{n-1}x_{n-1},...)##
but my book does not give examples of how to do so. Could anybody help me in finding its (continuous) spectrum, i.e. the set ##\sigma(A)=\{\lambda\in\mathbb{C}\quad|\quad\nexists B\in\mathscr{L}(\ell_2,\ell_2):B=(A-\lambda I)^{-1}\}##?
##\infty## thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am very inexpert, but I se that, for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)=A(x_1,y_2,...)## I think we can calculate ##(x_1,x_2,...)## observing that ##x_1=-\lambda^{-1}y_1## and ##\forall k\geq 2\quad x_k=-\lambda^{-1}(y_k-(n-1)^{-1}x_{k-1})##, therefore an application inverting the image ##A(\ell_2)## exists for any ##\lambda\ne 0##.
I also see that for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)\in\ell_2## we can recursively chose a sequence ##z_1=-\lambda^{-1}y_1##, ..., ##z_n=-\lambda^{-1}(y_n-(n-1)^{-1}z_{n-1})##, which I intuitively guess to belong to ##\ell_2##, such that ##A(z_1,z_2,...)=(y_1,y_2,...)##.
Therefore, applying Banach bounded inverse theorem I would say that for any ##\lambda \ne 0## the inverse ##(A-\lambda I)^{-1}## would be continuous and defined on ##\ell_2##.
Am I saying stupid things?
Anyhow, I cannot prove that ##(z_1,z_2,...)\in\ell_2##...:(
##\infty## thanks for any answer!

Last edited:
EDIT: Read ##B=A-\lambda I## instead of ##A## ofr every occurrence in the preceding post.

Davide: why don't you set it up and we can work it together; I need to review the material myself.

Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you so much for your answer! I rewrite the second post, correctly, I hope, this time (it is not possible to edit after some time one has posted, apparently):

I would say that, for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)=(A-\lambda I)(x_1,y_2,...)##, i.e. for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)## in the image of ##A-\lambda I##, we can calculate ##(x_1,x_2,...)## observing that ##x_1=-\lambda^{-1}y_1## and ##\forall k\geq 2\quad x_k=-\lambda^{-1}(y_k-(n-1)^{-1}x_{k-1})##, therefore an application inverting the image ##(A-\lambda I)(\ell_2)## exists for any ##\lambda\ne 0##.
I also see that for any ##(y_1,y_2,...)\in\ell_2## we can recursively chose a sequence ##z_1=-\lambda^{-1}y_1##, ..., ##z_n=-\lambda^{-1}(y_n-(n-1)^{-1}z_{n-1})##, which I intuitively guess to belong to ##\ell_2##, such that ##(A-\lambda I)(z_1,z_2,...)=(y_1,y_2,...)##.
Therefore, applying Banach bounded inverse theorem I would say that for any ##\lambda \ne 0## the inverse ##(A-\lambda I)^{-1}## would be continuous and defined on ##\ell_2##, so that ##\sigma(A)=\{0\}##. Am I saying stupid things?

If my calculations are correct I would say that ##z_n=-\frac{1}{\lambda}(y_n+\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}\frac{(-1)^{n+k}}{(n-1)...k} y_k)##, but I cannot prove that ##(z_1,z_2,...)\in\ell_2##...

Thank you a lot again!

P.S.: In math.stackexchange I find no answer about our ##A##...

Last edited:
The easiest way is to use the Gelfand formula for the spectral radius ##\rho(A)## of ##A##, $$\rho(A) = \lim_{n\to\infty} \|A^n\|^{1/n}.$$ You can easily see that ##\|A^n\|= 1/n!##, so the spectral radius is 0. And just to remind, $$\rho(A) = \max\{|\lambda|:\lambda\in\sigma(A)\}.$$

Likes DavideGenoa
...and I have verified that ##(n!)^{1/n}\xrightarrow{n\to+\infty}+\infty## using the Puiseux series, which I happen to have studied in discrete mathematics.
I've just studied a chapter about Banach algebras and know the formula for the spectral radius: how stupid am I!
I heartily thank you!

Last edited:
The limit also can be computed using an elementary estimate $$n! \ge \left( \frac{n}{2}\right)^{\lfloor n/2\rfloor} \ge \left( \frac{n}{2}\right)^{ n/2 -1} ,$$ where ##\lfloor x\rfloor## is the integer part of ##x##. I guess that it is easier than the proof you got using the Puiseux series.

Likes DavideGenoa
Very interesting. How can we see the first inequality? Thanks ##\to+\infty##!;)

At least half of the numbers ##1,2, \ldots, n## are ##\ge n/2##. So in fact even better estimate $$n!\ge\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^{n/2}$$ holds.
I was too lazy to count, so I just estimated that there surely will be ##\lfloor n/2\rfloor## such numbers. But if you look carefully, you see that if ##n## is even then ##n/2+1## numbers are ##\ge n/2##, and if ##n## is odd then ##n/2+1/2##.

Likes DavideGenoa
Beautiful! Thank you very much!

What is the meaning of "Spectrum" in this context?

"Spectrum" in this context refers to the range of values that the function ##(x_1,x_2,x_3, )\mapsto(0,x_1,2^{-1}x_2, )## can take on. In other words, it is the set of all possible outputs for a given set of inputs.

What is the significance of the notation used in this function?

The notation ##(x_1,x_2,x_3, )\mapsto(0,x_1,2^{-1}x_2, )## indicates a function that takes in three variables, ##x_1##, ##x_2##, and ##x_3##, and maps them to three new values, with the first output always being 0 and the second output being half of the second input. This notation is commonly used in mathematics to represent functions.

How is the spectrum of this function calculated?

The spectrum of this function is calculated by plugging in various values for ##x_1##, ##x_2##, and ##x_3## and observing the corresponding outputs. By doing this for a range of values, we can determine the set of all possible outputs for this function.

What is the purpose of using this particular function?

This function may be used to model a variety of real-world situations, such as the relationship between distance and time in a moving object, or the relationship between temperature and pressure in a gas. It can also be used as a tool for solving mathematical problems and exploring different mathematical concepts.

Can this function be modified to map to different values?

Yes, this function can be modified to map to different values by changing the coefficients and variables used. For example, we could have a function ##(x_1,x_2,x_3, )\mapsto(3x_1,2x_2,4x_3, )##, which would map the inputs to three times the first input, twice the second input, and four times the third input. The possibilities for modification are endless and can lead to a vast spectrum of functions.