Probability that X1=0 given that N=1

• Thread starter DottZakapa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]## = ##P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=-1)+####P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)##in which i am taking into account all possible combinations where ##X_1=0##.so it becomes##\left(\frac 1 2 \frac
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Given ##X_1,X_2,X_3## three independent random variables that can assume values 1 ,0 ,-1 with probabilities ##\frac 1 4 ,\frac 1 2 ,\frac 1 4 ##. Let ##S=X_1,X_2,X_3## and let N be the number of##X_i## assuming value ##0##
Relevant Equations
Probability
Given ##X_1,X_2,X_3## three independent random variables that can assume values 1 ,0 ,-1 with probabilities ##\frac 1 4 ,\frac 1 2 ,\frac 1 4 ##. Let ##S=X_1,X_2,X_3## and let N be the number of##X_i## assuming value ##0##.

Knowing that N=1 i have to find what os the probability of ##X_1=0##, that is:

##P \left[ X_1=0 | N=1 \right]= ##

##P \left[ N=1 \right]= \binom 3 1 * \frac 1 2 *\left(\frac 1 2 \right)^2 ##

so i can do
##P \left[ X_1=0 | N=1 \right]=\frac {P \left[ X_1=0 \right] P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]} {P \left[ N=1 \right]}##

now comes the question
in ##P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]## starts counting ignoring that ##X_1 = 0## so in order to have N=1 there is an other random variable that is equal to 0 and one that is not, ##X_1=0, X_2=0, X_3 \neq 0##
or
only ##X_1=0## and the others are not equal zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
let N be the number of##X_i## assuming value ##0##.

only ##X_1=0## and the others are not equal zero?

Based on the definition of ## N ## that you provided, I think your latter scenario is correct (i.e. ## X_1 = 0 ## and the other two are non-zero)

In terms of the solving, I think Bayes' might overcomplicate it? I think it might be quicker to do the calculation w/o Bayes'. (EDIT: don't change the way you solve it just based on my comment because both methods should yield the same answer - perhaps you use another method as a checking mechanism)

Master1022 said:
Based on the definition of N that you provided, I think your latter scenario is correct (i.e. X1=0 and the other two are non-zero)

In terms of the solving, I think Bayes' might overcomplicate it? I think it might be quicker to do the calculation w/o Bayes'. (EDIT: don't change the way you solve it just based on my comment because both methods should yield the same answer - perhaps you use another method as a checking mechanism)

if## X1=0## and the other two are non-zero then the result does not coincide with the result (according to the prof correction) which is 1/3.

My solution is :
##P \left[ X_1=0 | N=1 \right]=\frac {P \left[ X_1=0 \right] P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]} {P \left[ N=1 \right]}=## ##\frac {\frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 \frac 1 4 }{\binom 3 1 \frac 1 2 \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^2}##

while the professor did as follows :
##\frac {\frac 1 2 \frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 }{\binom 3 1 \frac 1 2 \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^2}##

he considered also the second random variable as = to zero and i don't understand why

DottZakapa said:
if## X1=0## and the other two are non-zero then the result does not coincide with the result (according to the prof correction) which is 1/3.

My solution is :
##P \left[ X_1=0 | N=1 \right]=\frac {P \left[ X_1=0 \right] P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]} {P \left[ N=1 \right]}=## ##\frac {\frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 \frac 1 4 }{\binom 3 1 \frac 1 2 \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^2}##

can you explain why the numerator is ## \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{4} \cdot \frac{1}{4} ## instead of ## \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{2} ## as the probability of being non-zero is 1/2?

DottZakapa said:
##\frac {\frac 1 2 \frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 }{\binom 3 1 \frac 1 2 \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^2}##

he considered also the second random variable as = to zero and i don't understand why

I am not sure why he considered a second variable as 0, but will give that more thought afterwards as well. Is it potentially a typo as that expression doesn't = 1/3? I think he meant the numerator to be ## ( \frac{1}{2} )^3 ##

I thought the solution would follow:
$$ = \frac{ P(X_1 = 0) P(X_2 \neq 0) P(X_3 \neq 0) }{ P(X_1 = 0) P(X_2 \neq 0) P(X_3 \neq 0) + P(X_1 \neq 0) P(X_2 = 0) P(X_3 \neq 0) + P(X_1 \neq 0) P(X_2 \neq 0) P(X_3 = 0)} $$
which yields ## 1/3 ## as expected

DottZakapa said:
My solution is :

I think there is an error with you numerator. If you list out all the combinations of ## X_1 ##, ## X_2 ##, and ## X_3 ## where ## X_1 = 0 ##, there will be 9 combinations. However, not all combinations are equiprobable (as ## P(X_i = \pm 1) = 1/4 ## each). When I calculated ## P(N = 1 | X_1 = 0) ##, those are the cases where only ## X_1 ## is 0, then I get ## 1/4 ## so your numerator would be ## \frac{1}{4} \cdot \frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{8} ## which will yield 1/3

i am getting lost
so
tho probability of being 0 is 1/2
probability of being 1 or -1 is 1/4
then, for what concerns
##P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]## = ##P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=-1)+##
##P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)##
in which i am taking into account all possible combinations where ##X_1=0##.
so it becomes
##\left(\frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 \frac 1 4 \right)*4##
this solves
##P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]##
but in front of it there also is
##P \left[ X_1=0 \right] ## that is equal to ##\frac 1 2##

DottZakapa said:
tho probability of being 0 is 1/2
probability of being 1 or -1 is 1/4
agree

DottZakapa said:
but in front of it there also is
##P \left[ X_1=0 \right] ## that is equal to ##\frac 1 2##
agreed

DottZakapa said:
##P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]## = ##P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=1,X_3=-1)+##
##P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)+P(X_1=0,X_2=-1,X_3=-1)##
in which i am taking into account all possible combinations where ##X_1=0##.
so it becomes
##\left(\frac 1 2 \frac 1 4 \frac 1 4 \right)*4##
this solves
##P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right]##
I believe this is calculating ## P(N = 1 \cap X_1 = 0) ## rather than ## P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right] ##. You need to divide by ## P(X_1 = 0) ## to get
$$ P \left[ N=1 | X_1=0 \right] = \frac{4 \cdot \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{4} \cdot \frac{1}{4}}{1/2} = 1/4 $$
Then when you include the extra factor of 1/2 that you mentioned you will get 1/8

Does that make more sense. If not, I think listing out all 9 combinations and finding the probability of each will help calculate this term

Master1022 said:
When I calculated ## P(N = 1 | X_1 = 0) ##, those are the cases where only ## X_1 ## is 0,
Apologies, I can see how this may have been misleading. What I meant here was that I listed out all the combinations where ## X_1 = 0 ## and found ## P(N = 1 | X_1 = 0) ## by doing:
sum of probabilities where ONLY ## X_1 = 0 ## / sum of probabilities of those 9 combinations

Master1022 said:
## \frac{4 * \frac{1}{2} * \frac{1}{4} * \frac{1}{4}}{1/2} = 1/4 ##

ok ok, now its all clear. all works.
thank you.

Likes Master1022
Master1022 said:
Apologies, I can see how this may have been misleading. What I meant here was that I listed out all the combinations where ## X_1 = 0 ## and found ## P(N = 1 | X_1 = 0) ## by doing:
sum of probabilities where ONLY ## X_1 = 0 ## / sum of probabilities of those 9 combinations
yes i understood that, and being also multiplied by ##P(X_1 = 0)## i remove from the other probability (by dividing because already taken into account ).

1. What is the meaning of "Probability that X1=0 given that N=1"?

This statement refers to the likelihood of a specific event (X1=0) occurring when a condition (N=1) is met. In other words, it is the chance of X1 being equal to 0 when N is equal to 1.

2. How is the probability calculated in this scenario?

The probability is calculated using the formula P(X1=0|N=1) = P(X1=0 and N=1)/P(N=1). This means that the probability of X1 being equal to 0 when N is equal to 1 is equal to the probability of both events occurring (X1=0 and N=1) divided by the probability of N being equal to 1.

3. What factors can affect the probability in this situation?

The probability can be affected by the underlying distribution of X1 and N, as well as any assumptions or conditions that are made. Additionally, the sample size and the method used to calculate the probability can also impact the result.

4. How does the probability change if N is not equal to 1?

If N is not equal to 1, the probability will likely change as the condition for the event (X1=0) occurring is no longer met. The exact change in probability will depend on the specific values of N and the underlying distribution of X1.

5. What is the significance of this probability in a scientific context?

This probability can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the relationship between X1 and N. It can also be used to test hypotheses and make decisions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring. Additionally, this probability can provide valuable insights into the behavior and characteristics of the variables being studied.