Speed of catamaran boat with bilge pump propulsion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tai
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tai
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some help in calculating the speed of a boat I am planning to build, I'm not looking for a precise speed just an indication of what it is likely to be to ensure the pumps I would like to use are powerfull enough.

The boat is a catamaran hull with the hull dimensions 150mmx100mmx620mm (per hull), the remainder of the boat will be above the water line. Overall the weight will be 8.5 Kilos, the propulsion system I would like to use is made up of two bilge pumps, each bigle pump is capable of moving 42 litres a minute so combined 84 litres per minute. The pump output pipe is 19mm in diameter, which i guess fits into the equation somewhere...

Is someone able to tell me an approximate speed in either kph or mph? I don't even have a clue where to begin :blushing:

Thanks in advance,

Tai
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to determine how the drag varies with speed. Then for a first approximation, you relate that to the power output of your engines:

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^3 LW Cd[/tex]

Bear in mind that your drag coefficient would have to include viscous, wave and profile drag terms.