Speed of light vs. the universe's inflation

In summary: Basically, space is really big and things move really fast within it, but the speed of light is still the limit for how fast anything can move.
Trailblzn
I understand that the Speed of light is the universal speed limit (I do not believe this is in question). However, I watched Steven Hawking's show this weekend on TV where they stated "10 minutes after the big bang the universe was thousands of light years across."

How is this possible if the speed of light is the "speed limit?" How could anything be light years across if it has only been 10 minutes? I would think that at most it could be 20 "light minutes" across. I am sure there is an answer, I am just now aware of one.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Space is not a thing that moves, so the speed of light does not apply to its expansion.

russ_watters said:
Space is not a thing that moves, so the speed of light does not apply to its expansion.

Russ, thanks for the reply. I understand that space does not move but the things in the "space" of the early universe did move namely radiation. Was there empty universe expanding faster than radiation? The expanding radiation is what made up the universe as there was no space yet. I appreciate your thoughts.

Trailblzn said:
Russ, thanks for the reply. I understand that space does not move but the things in the "space" of the early universe did move namely radiation. Was there empty universe expanding faster than radiation? The expanding radiation is what made up the universe as there was no space yet. I appreciate your thoughts.

Spacetime existed at the beginning of the universe. All radiation, matter, and everything occupies spacetime. The expansion between points in spacetime has no limit and as such it can, and does, cause objects to move faster than c. The key is that the objects don't move WITHIN spacetime greater than c, but that spacetime itself is expanding.

Drakkith ~

Thank you VERY much that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for your help.

If you had a Cartesian planes that you "placed" upon the Universe the size that it is right now, from an external vantage point, then yes, however, matter would have traveled a fair bit faster than c. But the speed is only in reference to an already expanding reference point, and so the example is not valid.

I generally think of it as an expanding polka dot balloon, but how it works in my head would probably confuse most.

1. What is the speed of light and how does it relate to the universe's inflation?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant representing the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is denoted by the letter "c" and has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. The speed of light is also closely related to the concept of the universe's inflation, which is the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. The inflation of the universe was thought to have occurred at much faster speeds than the speed of light, but recent research suggests that the speed of light may have limited the rate of inflation.

2. How is the speed of light measured and what units is it typically expressed in?

The speed of light can be measured through various experiments and observations, such as the time it takes for light to travel a known distance. It can also be calculated using the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength of light, and ν is the frequency of light. The speed of light is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Is the speed of light constant or can it vary?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and does not vary. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This concept is known as the principle of relativity. However, there are some theories that suggest the speed of light may have been different in the early stages of the universe's evolution, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

4. How does the speed of light affect our understanding of the universe's size and age?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe's size and age. Since the speed of light is finite and constant, the light we observe from distant objects has taken a certain amount of time to reach us. This means that the farther away an object is, the longer it takes for its light to reach us, and thus, the older the light appears. This allows us to observe objects that are billions of light-years away and gives us an idea of the immense size and age of the universe.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light. This is why the speed of light is often referred to as the cosmic speed limit. While there are some theories that suggest the existence of faster-than-light particles, they have not been observed or proven, and their existence remains highly debated and controversial in the scientific community.