Inquiry Regarding Hypothetical Faster-Than-Light Travel Scenario

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sushilreang
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sushilreang
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dear [Scientist/Researcher/Professor],

I hope this email finds you well. I have a question regarding a hypothetical scenario involving faster-than-light travel, and I would greatly appreciate your insights and expertise on this topic.

Suppose we imagine a scenario where a human being is able to place one foot on the Milky Way galaxy and the other foot on the Andromeda galaxy. In this hypothetical scenario, each step taken by the human being covers the vast distance between the galaxies in just one second. While I understand that this concept contradicts our current understanding of the laws of physics, I am curious to explore the implications and potential explanations within the confines of this hypothetical scenario.

Considering the limitations imposed by the cosmic speed limit, which is the speed of light, how can we explain or reconcile such a scenario? Are there any theoretical frameworks, yet to be discovered or explored, that could allow for such extraordinary feats of travel? Or is this purely a concept that exists within the realm of science fiction?

I would be grateful for any insights or thoughts you can provide on this topic. Additionally, if there are any relevant papers, studies, or resources that you recommend for further reading, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question. I look forward to hearing your perspective.
Mr.Sushil Kumar Reang
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sushilreang said:
Considering the limitations imposed by the cosmic speed limit, which is the speed of light, how can we explain or reconcile such a scenario? Are there any theoretical frameworks, yet to be discovered or explored, that could allow for such extraordinary feats of travel? Or is this purely a concept that exists within the realm of science fiction?
The concept is purely sci-fi. The tenants of relativity have been tested to extremely high standards and nowhere do we see any indication that exceeding the speed of light is possible. There are no theories currently accepted by the scientific community that would allow such a thing, as science is limited to what we can observe, test, and analyze. Since all of our observations and tests show that the speed of light is a hard barrier, there are no accepted theories that lack this property.
 
sushilreang said:
While I understand that this concept contradicts our current understanding of the laws of physics, I am curious to explore the implications and potential explanations within the confines of this hypothetical scenario.
Unfortunately, discussion of topics that fall outside the scope of mainstream science is not allowed per forum rules. If it isn't covered by the known laws of physics, then discussion is mostly pointless, as we have no framework upon which to base such a discussion.

My apologies, but I must lock this thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and Bystander