Speed with which m must move for M to stay at rest

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the speed at which a mass must move in order for another attached mass to stay at rest on a frictionless table. This is done by equating the force pulling down on the mass with the centripetal force caused by its rotational motion, and solving for the unknown velocity. The acceleration affecting the mass under the table is gravity, so it can be represented as g in the equation.
shimizua

Homework Statement

A 2.80 kg mass, m, on a frictionless table is moving in a circle with radius 0.440 m at a constant speed. m is attached to a 5.40 kg mass, M, by a cord through a hole in the table. Find the speed with which m must move for M to stay at rest.

for this one i am completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma
You can apply this for the force pulling down on the mass at the end of the cord under the table

The other force is centripetal force caused by the rotational motion of the mass on the table.
This is governed by [tex] F = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/tex]

Let those two formulae equal each other and you have your answer.

so it would be ma=mv^2/r? and then the m's would cancel out and you be be left with a=v^2/r. but then i only know r and not v or a so how do i find that?

no... because the masses in the equations are not the same..
Mass on the table = m
Mass under table = M
so you have Ma = mv^2/r
where M does not equal m

but what about having a and v since i don't have either of those, how do i find that

Don't be so sure. The Ma side of the equation applies to the block hanging under the table.
What force do you think is pulling it towards the ground? This gives you a.

And I know you don't have v, this is what you're solving for, you want to re-arrange your equation such that it is in the form of v = [...]

so would u use gravity for a? or like gravity times mass?

gravity is a measure of acceleration (ms-2). If you multiply it by mass, you have ma = F.

lol, sorry for all of the questions but i am still a little lost.
so i could just do a/g=m2/(m1+m2) to get a right?

Okay yes you are still a little lost.
we have F = Ma and F = mv2/r
We are given M, m and r and we are solving for v.
we will let the two equations equal each other. The only thing that remains in a.

Now notice that the left hand side of the equation represents the mass under the table. The acceleration affecting this mass IS gravity. Therefore a = g.

thank you so much. hahaha i am def going to write this down so i will not have to ask about it again.

Haha don't worry about it, it's what we're here for.

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed at which m must move for M to stay at rest?

The formula for calculating the speed is v = M/m, where v is the speed, M is the mass of the object at rest, and m is the mass of the moving object.

2. Can the speed of M be greater than the speed of m for M to stay at rest?

No, the speed of M must always be equal to or less than the speed of m for M to stay at rest. If M is moving faster than m, then it will not be at rest relative to m.

3. Is the speed of light a limiting factor in this equation?

Yes, the speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a limiting factor in this equation. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

4. How does the mass of M affect the speed required for it to stay at rest?

The mass of M does not affect the speed required for it to stay at rest. The only factor that affects the speed is the ratio of the masses, M/m.

5. Does this equation apply to objects of any size?

Yes, this equation can be applied to objects of any size, as long as they are moving at a constant speed. However, at very small scales, the principles of quantum mechanics may come into play and this equation may not accurately describe the behavior of objects.