Requesting help with centripetal acceleration homework

In summary, because the normal force from the table is equal and opposite to it, the hockey puck will not move.
Myani

Homework Statement

A hockey puck of mass m = 80 g is attached to a string that passes through a hole in the center of a table, as shown in the figure below. The hockey puck moves in a circle of radius r = 1.10 m. Tied to the other end of the string, and hanging vertically beneath the table, is a mass M = 1.00 kg. Assuming the tabletop is perfectly smooth, what speed must the hockey puck have if the mass M is to remain at rest?

M puck = 0.08kg
M block = 1kg
Gravity = 9.8
r = 1.10

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ac = (v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached in photo, why the gravity force of puck not being included is confusing me alot, shouldn't all objects be affected by gravity?

Attachments

• helpp.PNG
    helpp.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 310
Physics news on Phys.org
Myani said:
Attached in photo, why the gravity force of puck not being included is confusing me alot, shouldn't all objects be affected by gravity?
Do you feel gravitational force on the buck has any influence on the tension of the string? Are they not acting perpendicular to each other over the buck? Moreover, the table surface is smooth, right?

You'll need someone else to verify if this is correct or not as my physics know-how is a bit dated these days. However, I believe gravity comes into play in the form of friction against the surface. Since we're assuming the tabletop is perfectly smooth, gravity on the puck is no longer a factor because there is no friction. Gravity's pull in this case is counteracted by the table.

Myani said:

Homework Statement

A hockey puck of mass m = 80 g is attached to a string that passes through a hole in the center of a table, as shown in the figure below. The hockey puck moves in a circle of radius r = 1.10 m. Tied to the other end of the string, and hanging vertically beneath the table, is a mass M = 1.00 kg. Assuming the tabletop is perfectly smooth, what speed must the hockey puck have if the mass M is to remain at rest?

M puck = 0.08kg
M block = 1kg
Gravity = 9.8
********** 9.8 what? **************
r = 1.10
********* 1.10 what ****************

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ac = (v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Units are important; do not state units for two of the data items and omit them for two others.

Myani said:
why the gravity force of puck not being included
Because the normal force from the table is equal and opposite to it, so they cancel. And as others have mentioned, there is no friction.

Thank you for all your responses, I am able to understand it now.

Also next time I will make sure to add all the units to my variables.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the object's velocity.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Can you provide an example of centripetal acceleration?

One example of centripetal acceleration is the motion of a car around a circular track. The car experiences centripetal acceleration as it turns around the track due to the force of friction between its tires and the track.

4. What unit is used to measure centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How does centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related. Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, and centripetal acceleration is the resulting acceleration of the object due to this force.