Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spelling a number vs writing it

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    In papers, when should I spell a number (sixteen) and when I should write it using numerals (16)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on your purpose. The only rule which immediately comes to mind is to spell in words any number which occurs at the beginning of a sentence. Check what is stated in a manual of writing.

4. May 31, 2009 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only rule that I think is particularly important is not to use two sequential numbers in the same form. "Sixteen 2-liters", not "16 2-liters" or (worse) "Sixteen two-liters".

The only rule that really matters is "follow your style guide".

5. May 31, 2009 #4
    What about when I say "There are three main problems associated with blah blah"? It feels kinda wrong to have "3" there instead of "three".

Also I'm not sure there is a style guide.

6. Jun 1, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Plenty of style guides are available. College bookstores, premium bookstores, high school English departments and their teachers (probably many but not all), some dictionaries. Other academic departments in institutions might also have a style guide.

Also, you might find a couple of interesting links to writing style in www.rbs0.com

7. Jun 1, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook