1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical symmetri of eigenfunctions?

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I have been given these 4 eigenfunctions of the hydrogen atoms first 2 n-shells.

[tex] \psi_{100}(r, \theta, \phi )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^3_0}}e^{-r/a_0} [/tex]

[tex] \psi_{200}(r, \theta, \phi )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{8\pi a^3_0}}(1-\frac{r}{2a_0})e^{-r/2a_0} [/tex]

[tex] \psi_{210}(r, \theta, \phi )=\frac{1}{4\sqrt{2\pi a^3_0}}(\frac{r}{a_0})e^{-r/2a_0} cos\theta[/tex]

[tex] \psi_{21\pm 1}(r, \theta, \phi )=\pm\frac{1}{8\sqrt{\pi a^3_0}}(\frac{r}{a_0})e^{-\frac{r}{2a_0}} sin\theta e^{\pm i\phi}[/tex]

Where [tex] a_0 [/tex] is the Bohr radius.

I am suposed to show that the superposition
    [tex] |\psi_{nlm}(r, \theta, \phi )|^2 [/tex] is sphericaly symmetric within each shell.

Now what I dont know is how do I show spherical symmetri(not even generaly and not just in this particular case). Any hints?:confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2
    do I basicly just show that the superposition has the same value in a arbitrary r and -r? and the same for [tex] \phi [/tex] and [tex] \theta [/tex]
  4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    I guess I should rephrase.

How do I show that any function is sphericaly symetric? Right now my brain has frozen even though I know it must be ridicilously simple.

Ignore the -r brainfart in the previous post btw.

What I mean is that should I show the function is the same if I hold r, theta constant and replace phi with -phi and then if I hold r and phi constant and replace theta with -theta?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  5. Sep 11, 2006 #4
    the first one
    [tex] |\psi_{100}|^2 = \frac{1}{\pi a_0^3}e^{-\frac{2r}{a_0}} [/tex]
    this is obviously sphericaly symmetric since it only depend on the radius. Its a sphere pure and simple. But is that proof enough?

The second one

[tex] |\psi_{200}|^2 = \frac{1}{8\pi a_0^3}[1-\frac{r}{2a_0}]^2 e^{-\frac{r}{a_0}} [/tex]

same as above? only radialy dependant=the function gest weaker in the radial direction, obviously spericaly symetric.

third one

[tex] |\psi_{210}|^2=\frac{r}{32\pi a^3_0}e^{-\frac{r}{a_0}} (cos\theta)^2[/tex]

Now this one. If I hold r constant and replace theta with -theta I get the same answere. So does that mean sphericaly symetric? Do I just have to say that to prove it?

In the fourth one at the end

The [tex] sin\theta e^{\pm i\phi} [/tex] should I read that as [tex] sin(\theta e^{\pm i\phi}) [/tex] or [tex] sin(\theta) e^{\pm i\phi} [/tex] ??
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?